Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Getting the modern day feel... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/707641-getting-modern-day-feel.html)

insomniac 08-27-2014 05:54 PM

Getting the modern day feel...

So I have a 91 Vert and have done a bunch of upgrades over the past few years. Engine swap, Trans build, rear swap, full interior, paint... too much to list. Iv done some basic suspension stuff like KYB front struts, bilstein rear shocks, rear springs, full replacement of tie rods and drag links etc... rear control arms, panhard bar, front wonderbar. but still my daily driver 2000 v6 mustang with 170k just drives smoother. Probably because technology in the vehicles just improved so much over those 9 years but what kind of suspension upgrades will just make the car ride more like a modern day vehicle? I mean it handles great, i can whip around turns and so on but im just talking about overall ride feel....

plum92_camaro 08-30-2014 07:03 PM

Re: Getting the modern day feel...

If your v6 mustang could handle as well as your thirdgen how would it ride?

InfernalVortex 08-31-2014 05:54 AM

Our front suspension geometry doesnt lend itself to having a nice ride AND nice handling. You can compromise both and get to a happy medium, but the design just isnt very well optimized for both like modern cars are.

luvofjah 08-31-2014 07:33 AM

You mentioned a lot of things, but some where missing... and it seems every little bit helps... I got my 91 Formula with 150k on the odometer and tired stock suspension...

I did much of what you said, new springs, Bilstein's all around, Founders 3 way LCA's and Panhard, totally rebuilt 10 bolt rear end with premium parts, Spohn Torque arm, Spohn & Alston SFC's (T top Car), Wonder Bar, Jamex STB, Global West Del Lum A Arm bushings, Poly engine / Trans mounts and poly end links and sway bar bushings all around....

Now, it's riding as smooth as my Honda Accord (ok, a 93 with newer parts) I do have sound deadening material in the Bird and didn't lower it.... But it's amazing at how it rode tired at 150k and how it rides now with pretty much everything gone over...

Rafael

TTOP350 08-31-2014 08:39 AM

Do you have subframe connectors??

insomniac 08-31-2014 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 5812779)
Do you have subframe connectors??

yes welded alston sub frame connectors... 1st thing i did when i got the car

camaro1185 08-31-2014 09:50 AM

Ive been on a quest for this for a long time. I have found that these cars set up to handle like a slot car, ride like crap. In reality I think the ticket is bone stock with good adjustable shocks will allow the car to ride well and handle great too.

I also feel that bushings have a ton to do with smoothness on these cars. If i were to do it over, I would have just done all rubber bushings, new stock strut mounts, stock moog springs and a good damper like bilstein or koni. All that paired with a good "performance" oriented alignment is the best for these cars.