Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Sway bar? need help (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/717887-sway-bar-need-help.html)

smallblockchiv 04-15-2015 10:40 PM

Sway bar? need help

My 92 Rs is kicking the *** end to the right when I give it enough throttle. It's also making a loud thud in the back when I hit most bumps. The only two things I know for sure is that it's not wheel spin and the coils are still in the hangers. Possibly the sway bar? Help would be greatly appreciated

antares57 04-15-2015 11:15 PM

Re: Sway bar? need help

Don't have much experience to go on, but I would look at the torque arm and its associated connections. Some third gens have run without a rear sway bar with no ill effects.

smallblockchiv 04-15-2015 11:34 PM

I don't see how that would effect the car shifting to the side but I'll check it out thanks

sofakingdom 04-16-2015 05:59 AM

Probably not the sway bar.

More likely, the top shock mount has punched the floor pan out.

Pop your rear seats out, peel back the carpet, look.

smallblockchiv 04-16-2015 07:16 AM

I can't check that shock from underneath? Even on a lift?

RedLeader289 04-16-2015 08:03 AM

Yeah, I think sofa hit the nail on the head.

When you say kicking to the right, are we talking from a dead stop or while you're going down the road?

Gradual or a sudden jump?

Just trying to root out if it's "when I squeal tires my car shifts from to one side or the other" (normal)

or

"when I squeal tires the back end bounces up and lands 2 feet to the right" (NOT normal)

smallblockchiv 04-16-2015 08:53 AM

It's not wheel spin, i wish it was. Its a sudden pull to the right. Feels just like wheel spin almost but it's really not. Doesnt do it at higher speeds but it will at 30mph if i kind of lay into it. Rubbers above axle are shot so maybe coils are bad. That would definitely explain the thud on bumps.

RedLeader289 04-16-2015 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by smallblockchiv (Post 5904120)
It's not wheel spin, i wish it was. Its a sudden pull to the right. Feels just like wheel spin almost but it's really not. Doesnt do it at higher speeds but it will at 30mph if i kind of lay into it. Rubbers above axle are shot so maybe coils are bad. That would definitely explain the thud on bumps.

Ok then. Yeah, check your shock mounts and coils in the rear, something is out of whack there.

sofakingdom 04-16-2015 08:04 PM

I can't check that shock from underneath? Even on a lift?
No. No.

Takes less time and effort to pop the back seat out than to put the car on a lift; and, you get to SEE what you're looking at.

You just wasted near about as much effort as DOING THE WORK, by posting some more on the Internet.

Don't try SO HARD to be LAZY that you end up doing more work than the work you're trying to get out of doing by trying too hard to get out of doing the work. Just do the work. It's the eeeeeeeziest way through LIFE as a whole including this particular tidbit.

smallblockchiv 04-16-2015 08:50 PM

Dude I appreciate your help and with all do respect, I didn't post on here to get life lessons from a guy known as sofakingdom. I checked the shock mounts this morning and they looked fine so I'll just replace the coils and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help guys.