Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Spindle question (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/744123-spindle-question.html)

RaverRacerX 05-24-2017 07:32 PM

Spindle question

Anyone happen to know the angles of the strut mount on the spindle?

//<86TA>\\ 05-25-2017 05:57 AM

Re: Spindle question

I have the blueprints somewhere, ill dig them out tonight

SlickTrackGod 05-25-2017 09:47 AM

The steering angle inclination is aprox 13*. It could be fudged a little more or less based on slop of the angle between the strut and spindle bolts when tightened.

sofakingdom 05-25-2017 01:37 PM

Dean, the degree symbol is:

Hold down the Alt key, type 0176 on the num pad with NumLock on, and let go of the Alt key. ;)

Works in ANY program, because it's an operating system function, not an app one.

That's on Windows and *x. Not sure about Scrapple. I avoid the Empire. I may just be a blockade runner, but I can outrun any Imperial cruiser.

Just for fun, try other combinations after the 0.

Enjoy.

//<86TA>\\ 05-25-2017 04:41 PM

If deans number wasn't what you were looking for, the mount on the spindle is angled on 2 axis. From vertical off the snout, its 16.5171 degrees inboard and what appears to be 50 degrees of rotation from vertical.

RaverRacerX 05-25-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 6139570)
If deans number wasn't what you were looking for, the mount on the spindle is angled on 2 axis. From vertical off the snout, its 16.5171 degrees inboard and what appears to be 50 degrees of rotation from vertical.

thanks!

wow.. my estimation was close. I estimated 45 and 12.

SlickTrackGod 05-25-2017 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 6139570)

I actually had no clue on the spindle numbers itself. Impressive info. Rarely do I see anyone come up with such detailed specs....Especially when I've ever ask on a board for help.

TEDSgrad 05-25-2017 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it was Costas on FRRAX that had the blueprint.

RaverRacerX 05-25-2017 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad (Post 6139673)

It was. He was selling prints 2 years ago instead of scanning into a pdf.

SlickTrackGod 05-25-2017 11:09 PM

Try fabricating a steel prototype spindle that would accept a 4th gen hub. This would be far easier and safer direction to go.

Once you cut and alter and cut and alter ,etc etc, etc.....you can fine tune the steering arm and overall specs of the spindle then pinpoint the finished product for possible billet machined piece out of 7075.

Then fab it into a drop spindle application.

This would sell like hotcakes.

If I had time and the machinery I would be working on this as well as a few other goodies I have ideas on.

83 Crossfire TA 05-26-2017 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by SlickTrackGod (Post 6139692)
Try fabricating a steel prototype spindle that would accept a 4th gen hub. This would be far easier and safer direction to go.

Once you cut and alter and cut and alter ,etc etc, etc.....you can fine tune the steering arm and overall specs of the spindle then pinpoint the finished product for possible billet machined piece out of 7075.

If I had time and the machinery I would be working on this as well as a few other goodies I have ideas on.

A $$$ piece for 3rd gens sell like hotcakes? I'm not sure the market is there yet. it's long been a problem with 3rd gen products, if you put any real $ into them it's very hard to get the typical 20something broke 3rd gen owner to get off their wallet and spend money on them. It seems like most of us that have been around them long enough to be nearly 2x that age and still tinkering with them are more likely to build our own then spend $$$.

daferris 05-26-2017 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA (Post 6139724)
A $$$ piece for 3rd gens sell like hotcakes? I'm not sure the market is there yet. it's long been a problem with 3rd gen products, if you put any real $ into them it's very hard to get the typical 20something broke 3rd gen owner to get off their wallet and spend money on them. It seems like most of us that have been around them long enough to be nearly 2x that age and still tinkering with them are more likely to build our own then spend $$$.

true however when it comes to something like a spindle that is impractical to fab up for a one off unless you work or own a machine shop. I would spend to buy them the question is price point... My guess is probably $400-500 is too end of what they could sell at. Question is can it be made for that....

//<86TA>\\ 05-26-2017 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad (Post 6139673)

Yup, that's where I got my copies.

rgauder 05-26-2017 08:40 AM

Any chance on getting a copy of this drawing?

TEDSgrad 05-26-2017 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by daferris (Post 6139725)
My guess is probably $400-500 is too end of what they could sell at. Question is can it be made for that....

I paid more like $700+ for the RR Racecraft drop spindles. And they make spindles for multiple applications. They are not a one-off shop.

To match their quality in a less experienced shop, would cost more. I won't even mention liability.

RaverRacerX 05-26-2017 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by SlickTrackGod (Post 6139692)

My line of thinking is for a fabricated steel spindle that the separate pieces would have 'mortise and tenon' joints that would then be stick welded to structural specifications. More surface area and more safety if a weld did crack.

The front face would be up to half inch thick (a tad bit overkill at this point). The strut mount would be the full 33mm thickness.

The design right now is a 2" drop.

RaverRacerX 05-31-2017 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rgauder (Post 6139753)
Any chance on getting a copy of this drawing?

Roughly where I'm at now.

rgauder 05-31-2017 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by RaverRacerX (Post 6141207)
Roughly where I'm at now.

Just curious why you are going with a sealed bearing hub rather than the "snout" like stock spindles?

Looks like you are doing good work.

RaverRacerX 05-31-2017 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by rgauder (Post 6141217)
Just curious why you are going with a sealed bearing hub rather than the "snout" like stock spindles?

Looks like you are doing good work.

I want the wheel speed sensor, ease of replacement and such, use of modern brakes, etc. Plus, creating a correct press in portion is a hassle i dont want..haha.

I need to refine the strut mount portion and move it a over a touch, finish the steering arm, etc.

rgauder 05-31-2017 06:24 PM

I figured it was for the use of the speed sensor. I don't know what it has to do with the use of modern brakes though. Wouldn't adapters for the caliper mount take care of that, just like the standard spindles?

RaverRacerX 06-01-2017 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by rgauder (Post 6141251)
I figured it was for the use of the speed sensor. I don't know what it has to do with the use of modern brakes though. Wouldn't adapters for the caliper mount take care of that, just like the standard spindles?

I can also design it so I dont need an adapter.

RaverRacerX 06-02-2017 04:40 PM

any recommendations for steel to use? I would LIKE to stay away from chromoly

turd_gen 06-06-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by RaverRacerX (Post 6141834)
any recommendations for steel to use? I would LIKE to stay away from chromoly

If it were me, my go to would be 4140 or 4340. Cheap, strong, plentiful and easy to machine.