Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Suggestions on dropping my ride (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/755836-suggestions-dropping-my-ride.html)

SBNJ84Z28 09-03-2018 07:52 PM

Suggestions on dropping my ride

Hey gang... I have a stock 84 z28 with a air suspension in the rear from the previous owner. I'm looking to get rid of some of the wheel gap in between the front and rear tire and the fender wells. The back I suppose I can let air out of the shocks to lower, but the front I would need to change the springs. I'm looking to drop about an inch... nothing drastic that would give me problems with turning and tire rubbing. Should I do both front and rear springs, or just front? Also what manufacture do I go with? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mirror Image 10-02-2018 09:50 PM

Re: Suggestions on dropping my ride

Coilovers is the best way to go so much adjustable and if you go with double adjustable just more fine tuning

//<86TA>\\ 10-09-2018 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mirror Image (Post 6254316)
Coilovers is the best way to go so much adjustable and if you go with double adjustable just more fine tuning

Umm no. Coilovers are an expensive buzz word and are not something magical. Aside from packaging the two parts closer together, a conventional spring and shock do the same thing. Double adjustable is shock valving and has nothing to do with height adjustment.

The best adjustable setup for these cars is a weight jack setup since they are no designed or setup properly for coilovers. Even basic lowering springs work just fine for a bit less money. Eibach prokit or sportlines are the common ones, there are others too. Prokit is about an inch drop.

If you actually have rear air shocks, take them out before you break something, seriously.
​​​​

Mirror Image 10-09-2018 06:19 PM

Ive never had weight jacks Ive had lowering springs and coilovers and no valving has nothing to do with ride height I like the option of adjusting my ride height and I never said they were magical

Zach/90\irocZ 10-10-2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 6255863)
Umm no. Coilovers are an expensive buzz word and are not something magical. Aside from packaging the two parts closer together, a conventional spring and shock do the same thing. Double adjustable is shock valving and has nothing to do with height adjustment.

The best adjustable setup for these cars is a weight jack setup since they are no designed or setup properly for coilovers. Even basic lowering springs work just fine for a bit less money. Eibach prokit or sportlines are the common ones, there are others too. Prokit is about an inch drop.

If you actually have rear air shocks, take them out before you break something, seriously.
​​​​

I Agree

Originally Posted by Mirror Image (Post 6255877)
Ive never had weight jacks Ive had lowering springs and coilovers and no valving has nothing to do with ride height I like the option of adjusting my ride height and I never said they were magical

you just stated it was the best tho ?

lowering springs are ok for looks but performance wise front spring rates are similar to stock Irocz rates and rears are all progressive which is fine for cruising but suck when push hard

but weight jack system either put together yourself and or pre made kits with springs are the way to go , coilovers you are limited in front wheel size as usually the widest is about a 9.5

adjustability is with the shocks you get and many will say Koni are the best which they are and AGX are not bad either for price

Galaxie500XL 10-10-2018 06:40 PM

Are dropped spindles still available for our cars? It does the job of lowering the car, but leaves suspension travel and spring rates stock.

They were a thing back in the day IIRC, but I've not looked into them in decades.

Mirror Image 10-10-2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ (Post 6256097)
I Agree

you just stated it was the best tho ?

lowering springs are ok for looks but performance wise front spring rates are similar to stock Irocz rates and rears are all progressive which is fine for cruising but suck when push hard

but weight jack system either put together yourself and or pre made kits with springs are the way to go , coilovers you are limited in front wheel size as usually the widest is about a 9.5

adjustability is with the shocks you get and many will say Koni are the best which they are and AGX are not bad either for price

i have 10.5 rims up front and they have 295x30x18s and they dont rub Im also using 2 1/4 spaces
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...336355db27.jpg

Zach/90\irocZ 10-11-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mirror Image (Post 6256153)
i have 10.5 rims up front and they have 295x30x18s and they dont rub Im also using 2 1/4 spaces
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...336355db27.jpg

tight fit I would assume
I ran have ran 10 and 10.5 up front even tried a 11 lol and with my specs on wheels it was close to strut with right set of wheels and spacer It can work but coil overs upfront eat up some space I haven't look into them and or cared too as performance doesn't justify the price for me

I would like to see pics of your clearance upfront in your thread only see the 9.5 up front with 245s
so others can have picture reference of clearance

Zach/90\irocZ 10-11-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Galaxie500XL (Post 6256136)
Are dropped spindles still available for our cars? It does the job of lowering the car, but leaves suspension travel and spring rates stock.

They were a thing back in the day IIRC, but I've not looked into them in decades.

no I believe no one makes anymore but will purely be just visual and no performance gains

can use extended ball joint

Mirror Image 10-11-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ (Post 6256242)
tight fit I would assume
I ran have ran 10 and 10.5 up front even tried a 11 lol and with my specs on wheels it was close to strut with right set of wheels and spacer It can work but coil overs upfront eat up some space I haven't look into them and or cared too as performance doesn't justify the price for me

I would like to see pics of your clearance upfront in your thread only see the 9.5 up front with 245s
so others can have picture reference of clearance

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...de83b31648.jpg

Zach/90\irocZ 10-11-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mirror Image (Post 6256261)

definitely tight fit nice project as well but there might be clearance issues depending on tire as it looks like wall runs kinda flush with wheel bead , and with tires that have curb protection and the variables in each tire

Mirror Image 10-11-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ (Post 6256271)
definitely tight fit nice project as well but there might be clearance issues depending on tire as it looks like wall runs kinda flush with wheel bead , and with tires that have curb protection and the variables in each tire

ive done this setup I will be installing 8 inch springs

Zach/90\irocZ 10-11-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mirror Image (Post 6256278)
ive done this setup I will be installing 8 inch springs

lol I know you know but for others that may not know

Tibo 10-13-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by SBNJ84Z28 (Post 6248541)
Hey gang... I have a stock 84 z28 with a air suspension in the rear from the previous owner. I'm looking to get rid of some of the wheel gap in between the front and rear tire and the fender wells. The back I suppose I can let air out of the shocks to lower, but the front I would need to change the springs. I'm looking to drop about an inch... nothing drastic that would give me problems with turning and tire rubbing. Should I do both front and rear springs, or just front? Also what manufacture do I go with? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do a search on lowering these cars and you'll find a boatload of information. Basically lowering these cars nets you a snowball effect in that you make this one change (Lowering the body) and that leads to now needing to correcting this, that and the other. Best way to lower the front is with extended ball joints, replacing the old worn out springs with new "IROC" springs which I think are Moog 5662 or 5665. Then buy a pair of aftermarket strut mounts and a decent strut. As for the rear, it's a bigger can of worms to lower it and set it back up correctly.