Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   front wheel clicking when i turn.-solved (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/757098-front-wheel-clicking-when.html)

Evilokc 11-01-2018 12:52 PM

front wheel clicking when i turn.-solved

the car clicks when I turn sharply in either direction. I changed the struts, springs, and ball joints recently and its still doing it. I thought it might be a ball joint. when I puled the wheel off to do the suspension I found the aftermarket wheel/tire were rubbing badly in the front, rear, and top. so bad in fact that the plastic inner wheel cover is worn through on the top.the new suspension has stopped the top rubbing but it IS still rubbing front and back when its turned. my first thought was wheel bearing but I ruled that out because it only does it when I turn. there is no noise when I drive straight. could be tierod ends. they are in bad shape. the steering is next on the lest to be rebuilt. ive never heard of a tierod clicking like this though. im thinking its the tire/wheel rubbing. the tire is clearly the wrong size if it rubs on all sides and the wheel could also be an issue. they were n it when I got the car. who knows if they have the correct back spacing. I think the next step is to put a spare on the car and see if it still clicks. anyone else have ideas?

buffaloman 11-23-2018 04:19 AM

Re: front wheel clicking when i turn.

Have you checked the lower A-Arm rubber bushing? How about sway bar rubber?

Evilokc 11-23-2018 11:54 AM

No i havent. Would bad bushings click like a cv joint?

QwkTrip 11-23-2018 01:04 PM

Probably a piece of fender plastic being caught by the tire. Suggest lifting the car in the air, turn the wheel all the way, and then go under and spin the tire by hand. Hopefully you can track it down with your ears and eyes.

Billgluckman 11-23-2018 10:22 PM

Did you change strut mounts?

i put brand new kyb strut mounts on my car and they click when turning. Get someone to turn the wheel while you listen. You may need to keep the tires on the ground to duplicate the noise, especially if it’s a wheel bearing.

tealman92 11-24-2018 03:50 PM

I would say strut mounts.

sofakingdom 11-25-2018 06:43 PM

If it clicks as the wheel rolls, it's the wheel bearings.

Evilokc 12-09-2018 11:58 AM

well im still fighting this crap. ball joints, springs, struts, caster plates/strut mounts, and tie rods are new. now that ive changed the tie rods the click is worse. it clicks all the time now not just when I turn. if you have ever heard a bad cv joint that's the sound but its all the time and is speed sensitive. that makes me think it isn't the bushings although they are crap and I have some on the way. its got to be a moving part. ive always heard that bearings sound like metal grinding. this is clearly a popping. loud popping. im running out of things to change here.

sofakingdom 12-09-2018 02:40 PM

I think someone mentioned:

OrangeBird 12-09-2018 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 6264643)

:eek: Yep , and when the wheel bearings have been neglected long enough to be audibly clicking , it won't be too long till the spindle is damaged when the bearing finally seizes/jams ....

Evilokc 12-27-2018 11:31 AM

fixed- it was the driver side wheel bearings. I pulled them off and it was a mess in there. the grease had turned to something that looked more like rubber. it took a while to get that all cleaned out. when I finally got a look the outer bearing was plastic. didn't know that was a thing at all. the inner was worn but not in terrible shape. the outer was trash. changing the bearings isn't a difficult job and that portion of my work went pretty quick. on the test drive It wasn't clicking. ive been fooled before by these test drives where it doesn't click for a few minutes than starts again worse than ever. I took it on a full blown driving in tight circles, 5 u-turns, lock to lock swerving test drive and not a click.im so glad that's over. remember when you have an issue that's kicking your butt not to give up "persistence overcomes resistance" now on to the other 50 things that are broken.