Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Suspention on 82 camaro (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/757820-suspention-82-camaro.html)

Faitef 12-11-2018 10:26 AM

Suspention on 82 camaro

I have a 1982 camaro that I'm going to put a 383 and th400 in for a temporary build. It's going to be a street strip car so I was wondering what are yalls opinion on the stock suspension. Eventually it's getting a full tube chassis with 4 link but for now it's stock with aftermarket shocks. What's the ups and downs of stock suspension and how "good" is it?

DEADWOLF 12-11-2018 11:21 AM

Re: Suspention on 82 camaro

You at least need sub-frame connectors these cars can twist pretty easily otherwise if you actually hook up and everything else holds together. Depending on how tricked out your 383 is you may need a different rear end also. Strong 383's are taking these cars under 12 seconds pretty easily and at that point a roll bar and other mods become mandatory at any NHRA track.

Faitef 12-12-2018 09:01 AM

How easy is easy? What kind of power numbers can twist a frame? And eventually I want a ford 9"

ShiftyCapone 12-12-2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Faitef (Post 6267903)
How easy is easy? What kind of power numbers can twist a frame? And eventually I want a ford 9"

Stock power only can distort these cars. Sub Frame connectors are the #1 first mod that should be done on these cars. It is recommended that you upgrade the stock platform on these cars prior to adding a bunch of power. That means suspension upgrades/repairs (worn bushings shocks etc), sub frame connectors, brake upgrades, etc.

Faitef 12-13-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone (Post 6267914)
Stock power only can distort these cars. Sub Frame connectors are the #1 first mod that should be done on these cars. It is recommended that you upgrade the stock platform on these cars prior to adding a bunch of power. That means suspension upgrades/repairs (worn bushings shocks etc), sub frame connectors, brake upgrades, etc.

ok good to know thank you. So where exactly do subframe connectors connect? Kind of a stupid question but I've never seen the bottom side of the car for more than putting wheels on it and saw the front half when I pulled the motor. And I think it has aftermarket shocks

ShiftyCapone 12-13-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Faitef (Post 6268108)
ok good to know thank you. So where exactly do subframe connectors connect? Kind of a stupid question but I've never seen the bottom side of the car for more than putting wheels on it and saw the front half when I pulled the motor. And I think it has aftermarket shocks

These cars have two main structural areas from the factory, one is located in the front and the other around the rear. The middle of the car is a twizler and can twist about these two frame areas. Sub frame connectors connect the front to the rear and make it one big subframe taking the twist out of the middle of the car.

DEADWOLF 12-13-2018 10:33 AM

They have bolt in and weld in versions. Most of the top brands will require floor pan modifications. I prefer weld in. Heidts makes a bolt in that supposedly contours to existing floor, but have not heard much about how good they are.
T top cars twist worse than hard top cars. Seen a T top car twist so much going down the track that one of the tops ejected itself.
once one of these bodies twist past the point of springing back the body is pretty well gone. Frame straightener can bring it back to stock, but it will be even more prone to twisting from then on.