Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Need advice, rear shock/springs (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/762509-need-advice-rear-shock.html)

cdoyle 07-06-2019 10:47 PM

Need advice, rear shock/springs

Hi,
So I currently have the rear interior out of my 84 Camaro, redoing some audio stuff.
Thinking it would be a good time to replace the rear shocks since everything is accessible. I'm also hearing some strange noise from the passenger rear shock area, so I think that shock is wearing out or something there. So good time to do something since it's all apart on the inside now.

Been searching the forums, and it appears for shocks many prefer the Koni Yellows?
Is that still the case? I've also seen using 3rd gen vs 4th gen versions for the rear. With the 4th gen allowing easier adjustments, but I didn't see if they are a direct swap or is there modifying needed to use the 4th Gen shocks?

Next is springs. I currently have 16 inch wheels, and stock height. I would be OK with a very slight lowering, but OK staying at the stock height as I'll someday go with 17 or 18 inch wheels and don't want to run into rubbing issues. So my question; is it worthwhile to even change out the springs? IF so, what springs do you recommend? Seen a lot of conflicting info, and a little confused. The last thing I want to do is raise the car because of new springs.

The car is not driven very often, just driving around town in the summer. Just would like to give it a better ride, not feel like it's falling apart when driving down the road.

Then as a disclaimer, next year I would like to then upgrade the front suspension items. So would most likely get matching struts/springs.

Thanks in advance.

punkmaster98 07-07-2019 04:25 PM

Re: Need advice, rear shock/springs

On a budget ive had good luck with KYB -GR2 shocks and struts. That combined with MOOG HD 750lb springs and my car was on rails. but firm. One of my other vehicles is koni yellows with moog hd springs. rides great as well.

cdoyle 07-08-2019 08:53 AM

I think i'm going to go with the Koni Yellows, as it seems many recommend those. Just not sure of the using 3rd gen vs 4th gen shock I've seen brought up a few times.

As for springs, I really want to make sure that I don't 'lift' the car up any or bring it to 'stock' height because of the springs being new. I was looking at Eibachs Pro Kit, which say a 1 inch drop. That would be about where I want it. What are people's thoughts on those? Or alternatives that cost a little less?

Tootie Pang 07-08-2019 10:32 AM

If you are running stock and your car is riding at OEM height, then your rear springs don't need replacing. I went with KYB Gas-Adjusts. Car feels factory. The KYB Excel-G's were way too soft and I threw them out after a short while.

Drew 07-08-2019 11:48 AM

The difference is the 4th gen version uses the knob to adjust from the top. The 3rd gen you press a release button and turn the body/collar of the shock. Honestly, I set my Konis and haven't thought about adjusting them. I'm not racing the car, but if I were, unbolting the bottom end of the shocks to make an adjustment wouldn't exactly be the end of the world.

cdoyle 07-08-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6312955)
The difference is the 4th gen version uses the knob to adjust from the top. The 3rd gen you press a release button and turn the body/collar of the shock. Honestly, I set my Konis and haven't thought about adjusting them. I'm not racing the car, but if I were, unbolting the bottom end of the shocks to make an adjustment wouldn't exactly be the end of the world.

Thanks, Do you happen to know if the 4th gens will fit in, without any modifications?

cdoyle 07-08-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6312928)
If you are running stock and your car is riding at OEM height, then your rear springs don't need replacing. I went with KYB Gas-Adjusts. Car feels factory. The KYB Excel-G's were way too soft and I threw them out after a short while.

ya the more reading I do, the more I think I'll stick with my factory springs for now.
I don't want to accidentally put in a spring that raise the car up.

Then at the same time, get a lowering spring and to do it right spend a ton of money on other parts.

Drew 07-08-2019 12:59 PM

The 4th gen rear suspension is the same as a 3rd, so yeah they bolt in the same. There's something or other about the design of the 4th gen shocks that is "not as good" as the 3rd gen design, IIRC... But you'd have to dig into the archives to find that bit of opinion shared by someone at some point. I'd imagine for most people it'd never really be an issue.

The main reason to go with a high end shock/strut package like Konis, is that most thirdgens that people are working with are performance models with very stiff springs. You need a good damper to control a stiff spring, or the damper can't control the spring and it feels like the fillings are going to rattle out of your teeth.

Trouble with most of the aftermarket springs, and aftermarket shocks/struts, is that they're intended to be 'one size fits all'. GM had a few sets of springs for basically the same applications, and vastly different springs for other applications. One spring isn't going to be ideal for multiple applications, but that's what Moog and similar aftermarket providers are dealing with. The same applies to the shocks and struts, GM used different struts or shocks depending on the variables built into the car, they were matched to the springs and the car's options. When Monroe or Gabriel, or another parts store brand comes along, they don't want to make a shock for a 4cyl, and another for a 6cyl, and two or three for different V8s, so they make a one size fits all compromise that doesn't really match anything perfectly.

Depending on what a person is working on, parts store stuff can be OK or 'good enough'. Like a base model might be fine with Monroe Gas Matics or Sensatracs, but an Iroc will be like driving on rumblebars with the same parts.

UMI Sales 07-08-2019 03:57 PM

Koni 30 1265SPORT and Koni 8241 1140SPORT (aka 3's and 4's) fit in the same location no problem. If you're a set it and forget it type person, you can save a few bucks with the off-car adjustables. You can also do the Koni 8250 1006STRT known as Oranges, but they're non-adjustable. The Oranges are very cost effective and make it worth spending just a touch more than auto parts store brands.

UMI Koni page

//<86TA>\\ 07-08-2019 07:59 PM

4th gen rear koni are twin tube, 3rd gen are monotube, which are "better"