Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Replacement Frt Lwr Control Arms Recommendation (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/762583-replacement-frt-lwr-control.html)

Grandview IROC Z 07-11-2019 06:32 PM

Replacement Frt Lwr Control Arms Recommendation

I want to replace my front lower control arms (A-arms) with stock new ones but I cannot find any available, I would prefer them with out bushings so that I could install Del-a-lum bushings and new ball joints. I am trying to keep my car stock for an occasional Auto X. Does anybody know where to get new A-arms? If I have to buy the aftermarket tube A-arms then I want to spend my money wisely. I have looked at the new RRx Spohn video and these A-arms seem to be well made and cheaper than UMI or DSE. I have searched the forums and find that there is some not to good remarks on the Spohn A-arms, but these posts are fairly old and do not say whether their A-arms are the fairly new RRx version. Has anyone installed the new RRx version, did they lower the front of the car like the earlier version.

QwkTrip 07-11-2019 08:43 PM

Re: Replacement Frt Lwr Control Arms Recommendation

There are a lot of negative reviews on Spohn A-arms to the point that you'd be a fool to buy it. I'd like to say they did the redesign to take care of those problems but I think the real reason there's a new product is because the factory burnt down and they had to start over. Did they fix the flaws? I don't know, you want to find out for us?

Tootie Pang 07-12-2019 10:14 AM

I have a set I will give you if you pay shipping. Getting the old bushings out is easy, getting new ones in is not. I'm just paying it forward. MantyZ28 did the same for me and I swapped my old ones out in an afternoon. Massive difference even though my old bushings hadn't completely failed. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Jorlain 07-12-2019 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6313798)
I have a set I will give you if you pay shipping. Getting the old bushings out is easy, getting new ones in is not. I'm just paying it forward. MantyZ28 did the same for me and I swapped my old ones out in an afternoon. Massive difference even though my old bushings hadn't completely failed. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Blowtorch ftw!

Lurbie 07-12-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jorlain (Post 6313800)
Blowtorch ftw!

You blowtorch the new bushings in??? :huh: :huh:

Jorlain 07-12-2019 02:04 PM

Haha, no. To remove the old ones. They just pop out with some heat.

IROCZ1989 07-13-2019 06:48 AM

UMI sells nice A arms with the spring perch. Dont know if they are just comparable with their k member or stock as well. They have the Del bushings as an option. I powdercoated my original a arm set years ago. But they are off the car now. To change the bushings you will need a press.

vinny R 07-13-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6313798)

Take tootie up on this, of you don't I will.
Anyone tried to box a set of these? Cut and weld a metal plate like folks do with the trailing arms and such?

Grandview IROC Z 07-13-2019 08:16 AM

I have already gotten with Tootie Pang and will be getting his A-arms, Thank you all for your comments and help.

When I get them I will remove bushings and ball joints, weld in strengthening straps, dust blast, paint, install Del-a Lum bushings and new ball joints.

vinny R 07-13-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grandview IROC Z (Post 6313978)
I have already gotten with Tootie Pang and will be getting his A-arms, Thank you all for your comments and help.

When I get them I will remove bushings and ball joints, weld in strengthening straps, dust blast, paint, install Del-a Lum bushings and new ball joints.

Awesome! Please let us know how it turns out and post some pics of the "straps" you weld in. I have always been curious if that helps or not.

Abubaca 07-14-2019 02:04 PM

I always thought that the issue with the stockers was weight, not strength. Meaning boxing them only adds weight, because they're already plenty strong. Just curious though, could be wrong.

QwkTrip 07-14-2019 03:04 PM

I think he is wanting to reinforce the aftermarket tubular a arms.

vinny R 07-15-2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6314232)
I always thought that the issue with the stockers was weight, not strength. Meaning boxing them only adds weight, because they're already plenty strong. Just curious though, could be wrong.

IDK Chris but from the looks of this I can't see any weight savings here. I do like those bottom sway bar links.
https://www.spohn.net/productimages/...Arms-732-2.jpg

Grandview IROC Z 07-15-2019 08:55 AM

I intend to strengthen the stock A-arms not the aftermarket. Here is a you tube video from 3rd Gen Guy that will show you what I intend to do. Hope this video will clarify what I intend.. Thanks again guys, for your comments.

Tootie Pang 07-15-2019 05:15 PM

I sent you a PM Grandview. I'm very sorry but I can't find my old LCA's anywhere. They aren't small and aren't light. I was sure I had kept them to pass them on but I've looked everywhere. Sorry about that. I'll keep thinking of places to look. I've checked my basement, garage, under workbench, and other hiding areas.

vinny R 07-16-2019 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Grandview IROC Z (Post 6314382)
I intend to strengthen the stock A-arms not the aftermarket. Here is a you tube video from 3rd Gen Guy that will show you what I intend to do. Hope this video will clarify what I intend.. Thanks again guys, for your comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2eteQdbQE

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I was thinking could be done.

IROCZman15 07-16-2019 03:01 PM

if anyone else wanted my old a-arms for free(just pay full cost of shipping), please let me know. they are in a box in my basement storage area. in great shape structurally, just neeed to be cleaned and bushings redone
either reply here or pm me.

Grandview IROC Z 07-16-2019 05:01 PM

I will take them, I will PM you

Grandview IROC Z 07-16-2019 05:02 PM

McLovin1181 07-21-2019 04:53 PM

Oh hey, someone posted one of my videos!

so ya, the del-a-Lum bushings with QA1 extended ball-joints are a sweet combo.
the BJ are kick-A** at the Autocross.
the QA1 extended BJ raise the Roll Center by 1/2in and also drop the car 1/2in without changing any factory geometry.
It makes it WAYY easier to point the car where you want it. (experienced guys can probably explain better)
i don't recommend them for a daily driver as they need to be checked for tightness every 1K miles or so.

As far as the welded A-arm: i did that to ensure the ears didn't bend when installing the bushings.
with the welded bits in place, i simply hit the bushing housings with a dead blow hammer. took like 15 seconds each.
Pic is what it looked like before.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...bb4606838e.jpg

IROCZman15 07-23-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Grandview IROC Z (Post 6314676)

SOLD to Larry (Grandview IROC Z).

shipped out yesterday. I am excited to see what he does with them !!

Tootie Pang 07-23-2019 10:15 AM

These cars feel great with fresh LCA's. I should have boxed my LCA's at the ears like McLovin, Woulda saved a lot of headache and simple to press the new bushings in. I can't think of any reason not to.