Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   READY TO JUNK MY CAR!! HELP PLEASE (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/471027-ready-junk-my-car.html)

killacamaro 04-16-2008 04:51 PM

READY TO JUNK MY CAR!! HELP PLEASE

hey guys im ready to just say F**k it and smash my car into pieces. can any1 help me on installing or putting the ps pump back on the car. i have a 88 iroc that was a serp setup and now i have changed it to a v-belt setup. i finally figured out how to install the alternator brackets on the car. (but my question to that is, is it ok to use a serp ALT or do i need a V-belt ALT?) im soo frustrated its not even funny lol.

one quick thinkin, can you use the serp bracket to hold the ps pump and alt, and use v-belt pulleys on them? and then just run a belt to run the water pump on the crank pulley? and use another belt to run the ps pump and alt?
will that work?

rocko350 04-16-2008 05:07 PM

Re: READY TO JUNK MY CAR!! HELP PLEASE

no, because to tension the alternator or the p/s pump you would need to pivot either one on thiier respective mounts to properly tension them. why did you remove the serpentine system in the first place. the tool to remove and install the p/s pulley can be had for about 20 bux. go to a napa and check out thier liasle (sp) tool section.

killacamaro 04-16-2008 05:10 PM

i dont need to remove anything i need to figure out how the hell the ps pump bracket goes on the engine, and how to install everyhting. i have all the parts for the swap just dont know how they go on

rocko350 04-16-2008 05:19 PM

your original post said you removed the serpentine belt i faor of a v belt setup. i answered your question. and suggested that you put the serpentine setup back on. Whasn't that what you were referring to? Or, are you asking someone how to install the v belt setup. Or do you want to use the serpentine brackets with v belts? that of course is not suggested if you dont know how to design your own belt system. i read your other post about the v belt setup for the electric water pump. My suggestion is go get a normal pump and reinstal your serpentine system as these are far superior to the v belts. Besides there is only one way to install the sepentinesystem onto a thirdgen unless you have the corvette,or truck, or the caprice setups. the truck and caprice are alot alike.

Basically:
What do you have?
what are you trying to accomplish?
calm down:)

killacamaro 04-16-2008 05:22 PM

i dont want to use a serp setup cuz i dont wanna use those big a$$ brackets and delete pulleys. that is my main reason why

what i am trying to do is figure out how to put the alt and ps pump on my engine, i have alll the brackets from a v-belt camaro, but i have no clue how they go on. or how they are installed. i have a mechanical long style water pump now. i dont have the electric water pump.

soo that is my question "how to use the v-belt brackets and how they go on???"

ANY1 WHO HAS V-BELT SETUP CAN YOU POST PICS OF UR ALT AND PS PUMP PLEASE

rocko350 04-16-2008 05:42 PM

i cant find the pics of my chevelle right now so ill go and have to take another set of pics. the setup should be close enough for you to figure out from the pics. there ar a coulpe of studs that thread into the block that kind of act like spacers for the brackets to ride against under the p/s pump. a small bracket that attatches to the back of the pump between itself and the block and a stand off bushing that bolst onto the backm of the alt for the long bolt to pinch it onto the head. I'll have to go to my parents house as the car is locked in the shop over there. (i gotta get my shop finished)

killacamaro 04-16-2008 06:33 PM

yeah please take pics of each,and where they are connecting to the block, the water pump, and how the alt goes for the same way, take pics of all connections please

billybird 04-16-2008 07:17 PM

galvarado 04-16-2008 11:04 PM

The alternator on a v-belt system is on the passenger side of the engine as opposed to it being on the driver's side as in the serpentine setup. I also wanted to ask you about the mechanical water pump you have. Is it the water pump that was used with the serpentine system? If it is, you're going to need a different water pump because the serpentine water pump is a reverse flow pump. You'll need to use a pump from an 87 IROC which is a direct flow pump. I just wouldn't want you to burn up your engine using a reverse flow pump.

Gene

galvarado 04-16-2008 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a pic of an 86 IROC with a v-belt setup. Hope it helps a little.

Gene

killacamaro 04-17-2008 07:23 PM

i need much much closer pics of the bracket locations on the engine

rocko350 04-17-2008 08:51 PM

my computer had a power supply go bad sorry i didn't post yesterday. i went to my dads house and he and my mom went to mexico and took the damn keys to the shop with him. i will get pics and post them tomorrow. my wife is off tomorrow, shell take them and post them for me.

killacamaro 04-19-2008 10:58 AM

thanx greatly appreciated. i dont know why i cant figure this out myself., or find any schematics on this either onlne

Street Lethal 04-19-2008 11:20 AM

^ Where are you in New York.....?

Street Lethal 04-19-2008 11:36 AM

By the way, here ya go..... :)

https://i201.photobucket.com/albums/...l/V-Belt-1.jpg

killacamaro 04-20-2008 09:44 PM

yes im in ny street and also that pic is ok but i need side views

Uglybronco 04-21-2008 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by killacamaro (Post 3722116)
i need much much closer pics of the bracket locations on the engine

Originally Posted by killacamaro (Post 3725753)
yes im in ny street and also that pic is ok but i need side views

No, you need to pull your head out of your *** & put your serpentine brackets & accesories back on & throw your V-belts in the junk yard where they belong. If you want a V-belt go buy a lawn mower. I'm sure if you think you are capable of this retarded swap then you should be capable of coming up with a way to run the serpentine without a bunch of expensive delete pulleys as you say. A friend of mine once rigged a setup to have three altenators.. one where the AC was & one where the smog pump was on a factory serpentine setup.. All using one belt & still retaining that "oh so worth it" tensioner device... Oh & don't bother calling me out on being an @$$hole or whatever you are thinking. Because I already know it.. I am being somewhat helpful in this post just in my own smarta$$ way..

heat seeker 04-21-2008 01:08 PM

LOL!!!! I was thinking the same thing, I just didn't say it.

ryan91rs 04-21-2008 02:07 PM

you can get a shorter belt and just route in a different way instead of going back to the v belt.

and go to autozone and get a Haynes... then burn it and go buy a Chilton.... use that for toilet paper and finally get the real deal a GM shop manual. IT;s hard to explain how it goes on. just get a GM shop manual for an older camaro it will show you how it goes on like an old erector set

then get a shotgun and shoot your foot and lower leg off. You might as well do it metaphorically and physically. :)

killacamaro 04-21-2008 05:29 PM

you guys are all retarted, dont worry i figured it out. thanx anyway for all your great sense of humor.

but if u sat there and read about why i am going to v belt setup u would see why i did. now mb i should say it again. "I dont want to use the damn serp brackets and the tensioner. and yes u do need to use a pulley with the tensioner cuz then u wont have any tension on the belt. 2nd of all i just have the ps pump and the alt soo why do i need all that bs in the front of my car?" figure it out dudes, i just bought sum aftermarket brackets. sooo thanx agian

Azrael91966669 04-26-2008 08:01 PM

what to cheap to buy a 20 dollar ac delete bracket?
if you where as smart as you think you are you would delete the full right side of the serp setup and run a small belt and use the alt for tension like most hot rodders do it but i guess you couldnt figure that out

88TransAmFreak 05-22-2008 02:57 PM

Were you able to figure this out yet?:)

DLV555 05-23-2008 11:21 AM

Thanks guys, this was good for a laugh! Why anybody would intnetionally go through all that trouble to take a step backwards in technology is beyond me. And then sit there and call eveyone else retards for thinking it was a bad idea! Classic.
Anyways, I gotta get back to the garage...my ignition module went out, and since I don't much care for all those wires I'm going to put in a points distributor to clean things up a little bit. :lmao:

killacamaro 05-23-2008 03:13 PM

car is fixed and rolling. i dont care what any1 says, about going to a v belt setup.

A. i take away the tensioner
B. i get rid of those huge nasty brackets
c. i get rid of ANY delete pulley
D. i got all the parts for FREE

soo i dont know why sum1 woiuld not wanna do it. also 3/4 of all ur hot rods and rat rods are still V-belt setup. soo explain to me why im wrong?

88FormWS6 05-30-2008 11:20 AM

You say you got all the parts for free but about two posts up you said you BOUGHT aftermarket brackets sounds like an expensive Free:crazy: :idiot:

BronYrAur 05-30-2008 01:30 PM

Let's see a picture