Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   Dilemma - Convert to Carb or stay TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/691385-dilemma-convert-carb-stay.html)

Termn8r 10-28-2013 09:38 AM

Dilemma - Convert to Carb or stay TBI

I have been doing a bit of work on my engine and some guy talked me into going with a MSD 8394 E-Curve Distributor which is not computer controlled. The car runs fine (it definitely improved), but the computer isn't happy. I also added an MSD Ignition Coil and an MSD 6AL. I have 1-2 people telling me to finish the computer off and go Carburetor and 2-3 people telling me to sell the distributor and put one back on the computer can control.

My engine knowledge is limited but growing, while carb sounds good to me, I am unsure of how much 'work' that will be to convert. On the other hand what do I lose if I drop TBI?

If I went back to a computer controlled distributor it would be something like Davis Unified Ignition 12620 or MSD Ignition 8366 I assume.

If I went carburetor I am not sure what I would pick.

midias 10-28-2013 11:46 AM

Re: Dilemma - Convert to Carb or stay TBI

Why not just fix the problems with your TBI?

Is the car modified?

1991sleeper 10-28-2013 01:22 PM

Leave TBI ! On it

Termn8r 10-28-2013 03:47 PM

Ok, heading towards another distributor, thanks all!

UnderCover89TBI 10-28-2013 04:58 PM

yeah just keep the tbi if your engine is stock you can pull pretty good MPG out of them.

one92rs 10-28-2013 05:03 PM

take from someone that went carbed and all the way back to tbi and loving it. got really tired of the tuning on the carb for the weather as well. likie the ecm controlling it all now. and with a really good chip in it im really happy. 22mpg isn't bad either.

Cadride 10-28-2013 09:45 PM

I would go with good stock gm distributor and ignition module upgraded coil and plug wires. I run TBI through a Whipple SC, completely upgraded setup pushing 400-500 hp and have no issues with distributor.

Schurkey 10-29-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cadride (Post 5658982)
I would go with good stock gm distributor and ignition module upgraded coil and plug wires.

While I'm not fond of carbon-core resistor plug wires, there's not a thing wrong with the OEM ignition coil or ignition module for street use. In fact, aftermarket coils and modules are frequently WORSE than the stock stuff they replace.

brickyenne 10-29-2013 10:17 PM

Keep the TBI. Here is an app for iPhone/iPad or Android that may help you a lot with component selection. It eliminates the guessing for pump or injector flow among other cool stuff. It works for me, may work for you!