Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   How To Stop Fuel From Leaking When Removing TBI For Rebuild (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/757533-how-stop-fuel-leaking.html)

Bohemian 11-25-2018 07:05 AM

How To Stop Fuel From Leaking When Removing TBI For Rebuild

IF there's already a thread & or tip besides using a rag; advising How To Stop Fuel From Leaking When Removing TBI For Rebuild please advise, I could not find one...

basically, I'm trying to keep fuel from coming out the fuel line continuously once the fuel line on a TBI 3rd Gen Camaro is removed for whatever reason, such as rebuilding TBI etc.
Mine's a 89 Convertible with the factory 305 TBI & 700-R4

thanks in advance.

Drew 11-25-2018 12:06 PM

Re: How To Stop Fuel From Leaking When Removing TBI For Rebuild

Plug it or pinch off the rubber fuel line. HF sells clamps for pinching hoses. Plastic or rubber caps like they use to protect the ends of lines, and ports on car parts can also sometime work to cap an open line so it doesn't drain all over.

Schurkey 11-25-2018 11:08 PM

Or cram the (uncut) tapered applicator for silicone RTV into the end of the fuel hose.

RBob 11-26-2018 08:10 AM

Open the gas cap on the tank. That will prevent any pressure build up along with allowing the fuel to drain out of the lines back into the tank.

RBob.

Firebirdwade 11-26-2018 09:34 AM

Pull the fuel pump fuse, run it till it dies, I've never had it leak after doing that.

RS Chris 11-26-2018 07:27 PM

If you're talking about the hard lines, some ear plugs stuffed into the opening work short term. I say short term meaning an hour or two. Not sure how long after that. Used them when I rebuilt my TBI throttle body years ago.

92CamaroDE 12-12-2018 09:11 PM

I disconnect them near the alternator, wrap them in paper towels, cover with a ziploc bag and tape them to my washer bottle. Then I open the gas cap to keep pressure from building up like rbob suggested. Keeps fuel from spilling and vapors at a minimum

Aviator857 12-13-2018 09:54 AM

Pull the fuel pump relay, run it until it dies. Jack it up front only, loosen the fitting at the fuel filter and the fitting at the TBI, it should drain out at the fuel filter leaving the lines up at the engine mostly dry. However I always found my car had a habit of starting to self siphon when I change the filter, it tends to be worse with the rear of the car in the air.

Depending on how much fuel you have in the tank you could always lave the filter loose and let it drain into a catch can while you do the TBI.