Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   timing trouble (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/759412-timing-trouble.html)

Chevy_man_88 03-03-2019 02:58 PM

timing trouble

okay, i set the timing to specs and when i set it and tighten down the distributor, i can see the timing marks going all over the place up and down by itself! yes the ESC WIRE is disconnected! when i connect it back still does the same! is it the timing chain? or something else? i tried puttin it in the timing spec still moves!

Schurkey 03-03-2019 10:15 PM

Re: timing trouble

Originally Posted by Chevy_man_88 (Post 6285610)
i can see the timing marks going all over the place up and down by itself! yes the ESC WIRE is disconnected! when i connect it back still does the same!

WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS??? WHAT ENGINE???

is it the timing chain?

Test the engine for timing chain slop and find out.

or something else?

Pull the distributor, look at the wear on the distributor gear and on the cam gear. Is the pickup coil/reluctor rusty? Covered in iron filings? Are the wires to, and inside the distributor in good condition? Plug in securely? Distributor shaft properly-tight in the housing bushings?

Do you have a known-good Delco distributor you could try? I try to keep a few spares around here for all my various distributor-equipped vehicles.

Does your timing light show stable timing on another vehicle? Maybe it's the timing light, not the engine.

Chevy_man_88 03-04-2019 12:18 AM

92 firebird 305 TBI, the timing light is fine and the whole distributor is brand new and plugs, wires, coil are new

Schurkey 03-04-2019 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy_man_88 (Post 6285717)
92 firebird 305 TBI, the timing light is fine

You've tested it on other vehicles? Is this a "dial-back" timing light?

and the whole distributor is brand new

"Brand new" usually means "Cheap Chinese". And "cheap Chinese distributor" usually means "Faulty ignition module" if not faulty...everything.

and plugs, wires, coil are new

Again, "new" does not mean "serviceable". Any of those could be "new defective". And I see a lot more of that now than twenty--thirty years ago--which I attribute to seeing a lot more imported crap from third-world nations that doesn't get appropriate inspection when it shows up in this country.

What did you find out when you checked the timing chain?

What happens if you connect the timing light to #6 instead of #1?

Do you have a spare Delco distributor to swap in? Do you have a spare Delco ignition module to try? Did you look at the camshaft gear when you changed distributors?

Chevy_man_88 03-04-2019 02:40 AM

its all ac delco the plugs, distributor, ignition control Module etc , tried the timing light on my truck it works fine! i dont mess with Chinese parts!