Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   CODE 32 EGR and BPS (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/102966-code-32-egr-bps.html)

1MEAN92RS 04-26-2002 09:52 AM

CODE 32 EGR and BPS

My brother has a code 32 on his 88' IROC. he's replaced the EGR valve, it's solenoid, and the Barametric pressure sensor and still gets code 32 when driving at highway speeds. what are the possible causes of this? What is the normal operating voltage of the BPS and how can we tell if it is bad again? We are going to try cleaning the egr passages with a rifle brush as per the tech article and see if that has any effect. Any other ideas?

burntblues 04-26-2002 09:56 AM

I've been having the same problem on my RS, where is the BPS? Tell me how cleaning the EGR passages works out too...

-=-Mike

TBI305Camaro 04-26-2002 11:15 AM

yes someone needs to shed some light on this...after installing headers my EGR valve code is coming up doesnt really seem to affect anything tho just that annoying light

Pino91Formula 04-26-2002 03:01 PM

If you have done any exhuast modifications , that is your problem, I had the same problem , I replaced everything , and even sent the car out , finally we dicovered the exhuast was too free flowing, there are two types of egr system a positive and a negative , the negative work with exhuast back preasure. supposedly the system can be switched over , i dont know what that entails , i proved this by removing the flowmaster muffler i had and replaced it with a 20 dollar auto zone special. I havent had a problem since , I do plan on installing a slp system , i will see what the car does after that i also have a new Y-pipe and Cats for my car also.

Vader 04-26-2002 03:59 PM

Lack of back pressure on a 'P' type EGR valve can be a problem.

Another possibility is the diagnostic temperature switch on the base of the EGR. If the new valve didn't come with the new temperature switch, that is a possibility.

Does the code occur immediately on startup or shortly thereafter, or only after cruising at highway speeds at light throttle loads?

You also mentioned a BARO sensor. I'm no genius, but an IROC in 1988 should have had a TPI system, and therefore no BARO sensor. Did I miss something?

burntblues 04-26-2002 04:05 PM

well here's when mine happens...

Mine happens after I get off the highway, which is mild to light throttle, usually after about 5 minutes of being back on normal roads. I don't think that it has to do with my after cat exhaust because its done it even before the exhaust. could it be that baro sensor (mine is an RS). Thanks for any help V.

-=-Mike

1MEAN92RS 04-26-2002 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Vader
Lack of back pressure on a 'P' type EGR valve can be a problem.

Another possibility is the diagnostic temperature switch on the base of the EGR. If the new valve didn't come with the new temperature switch, that is a possibility.

Does the code occur immediately on startup or shortly thereafter, or only after cruising at highway speeds at light throttle loads?

You also mentioned a BARO sensor. I'm no genius, but an IROC in 1988 should have had a TPI system, and therefore no BARO sensor. Did I miss something?

Alright, He has Edelbroch headers, 3in y-pipe, high flow cat, and a Gale-Banks 3in cat-back with a turbo high-flow muffler, so now we are gonna try increasing the exhaust backpressure somehow as per your and Pino91Formula's reccomendations and see what that does... I'm not sure about the temp switch, I'll have to ask my brother tonight. It only occurs after the car has gone into closed loop and at highway speeds. And nope on the TPI. It's an '88 IROC/Z28 305 TBI w/ a 700R4, and 2.73 or 3.08 open rear gears (can't remember which).