Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   86 4bbl 305 firebird questions (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/112532-86-4bbl-305-firebird.html)

jrl9873 06-10-2002 02:15 PM

4bbl 305 questions

Hi everyone, I'm new to these boards.
Just have a couple questions, hoping someone can help me out.
1) Does anyone know the 1/4 mi and 0-60 times for a stock 86 firebird 305 4bbl?
2) Only mods I've added so far are basic (K&N,180*stat,fan-switch). I'm wondering what some suggestions would be for cheap mods to start out with. Just did the "major tuneup", and plan to do headers, cat, muffler & pipes this winter when i get some extra cash, but for now would like to do some cheaper mods. I've got a kid on the way, so budget is kinda tight.
any suggestions?

Mark A Shields 06-10-2002 08:49 PM

It would be really surprising if you could break into the 15s. I'd say you're looking at low 16s. As far as mods, headers and a cat-back would be very beneficial on that motor since the exhaust is among the weakest parts. Then I'd say a cam change.

TransAm 06-10-2002 10:41 PM

finding a dual snorkel air cleaner or buying one from www.ramairbox.com ($100, plus you'll have to do a "custom" duct work) will drop your 1/4 mile times by .25 seconds alone.

Vader 06-11-2002 09:48 AM

JRL,

Welcome Aboard!

And congratulations on the anticipated new arrival. It's a little different at first, but they grow on you after a while. After a while, you may even understand why your parents sometimes acted the way they did.

Do a little investigation on your car. Determine the rear end gear ratio. If the ratio is relatively low and you're using an auto trans, a torque converter stall speed change can improve times pretty siginficantly, and still maintain good street driveability and fuel mileage.

Instead of trying to find a dual snorkel air cleaner (if you even can find one) you can convert your existing air cleaner to a factory look dual for negligible cost. There is a tech article on the conversion.

You could also try to run with a bit more than the factory ignition timing advance to gain power. Just be aware that a lot of advance will require higher octane fuel.

If you have respectable trap speeds but poor 60' times, you might want to consider a tire change for the strip. Tire roasting is a spectacular show, but doesn't help the ETs at all.

Matt86t/a 06-11-2002 04:30 PM

well if you look at my sig you can see what i ran and what i did. I really think something is wrong so don't take my car as a great example, just an example. Same engine and carb, i just did a lot of work, and i'm darn glad i ran it AFTER the mods because i probably would have run at least mid 17s. I got the car with only six cylinders running anyway. It felt just as fast:confused: Oh well. Definately do the headers/exhaust. Just with headers and y-pipe and stock cat-back, my car has a distinct, nice sound. The cam definately helped though.

~Matt