Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   VATS, clutch switch, ignition switch?????? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/150814-vats-clutch-switch-ignition.html)

My90Iroc 12-23-2002 05:43 PM

VATS, clutch switch, ignition switch??????

My car wouldn't start today when I tried to leave work, but then about 15 or 20 min. later is started like nothing was even wrong. When it didn't start, the starter didn't even try as if the VATS was telling it not to start, but the car had power (lights, dash, stereo, etc.). I thought it would be odd for one of those parts just to fail out of the blue and the car started right up in the morning and at lunch and hasn't given me any problems. My questions are where exactly are the VATS and clutch switches located and how can I test them?

I know the ignition switch is on the steering column and since that's kind of PITA, and I suspect one of the other problems first I'd like to know how to test them incase I continue to have problems.

Thanks.

Nixon1 12-23-2002 08:24 PM

What condition is your key in? Next time it does this, insert the key and turn it to On and but dont try to start...does the 'SECURITY' light on the tach stay lit? If it does then you have tripped VATS. If the car doesnt recognize the key, it trips the VAT system, which disables your starter solenoid..meaning, fuel pump still primes, all accessories work, but the solenoid won't click, meaning...no starter. It takes 5 mins of key out with no attempts to reset the system. Mine malfunctions and doesnt recognize my key often..sometimes as many as 3 times in a row. Talk about a pain. I just need a new key...it's so bad that Palm Bay Chevy can't duplicate it cause their resistance chip reader says "no key" when they insert it. Lol...

BOTTLEDZ28 12-23-2002 08:36 PM

I would get a new key first. If the key you have now is too badly worn then you cannot use it to make a new one. You will have to get the key codes from the dealer. The service guy will need your registation card in order to get you the codes. he uses the VIN number to get them and you need to prove to him that you own the car. also, he may or may not be able to tell you the value of the chip on your key. It can be 1 of 15 different values. You better hope he can though because its not cheap to retreave the value of the key. A locksmith has to use his special key and a computer box to retreave the code. he will instert his key in the ignition and put the dial on 1 and then try to turn over the car. if no go then there is a 5 minute wait. so on and so on. I lost my keys and had to have this done. The value of my key was 15. go figure. In the end it cost me $100 for a new key

Nixon1 12-23-2002 08:57 PM

Nope..he cant scan the key. When he dropped it into the machine to tell the resistance chip value, it read double 0's or something. That's the ONLY, and I mean ONLY reason I dont have a spare ignition key right now. Believe me, I want one.

BOTTLEDZ28 12-23-2002 08:58 PM

look slike your gonn ahave to take the hard route to get a new key then.

Nixon1 12-23-2002 09:02 PM

Yeah...I know they're gonna overcharge me..thats why I'm not going there. Palm Bay Chevrolet are a bunch of dickheads. As much as I hate Fords...I'd rather deal with P.B. Ford than those Chevy *******s.

BOTTLEDZ28 12-23-2002 09:07 PM

go to the dealer for the key code. take the paer they give you and then bring it to a local lockemsith that has the scan tool to retreave chip values from the VATS on the car. he was cut you a key on the spot and then put the right chip in it. ask for the prices also. Does you key work at all

Nixon1 12-23-2002 09:11 PM

Thanks..... Key works 95%+ of the time.

My90Iroc 12-24-2002 07:00 PM

Thanks guys, I was also suspect of the key and I didn't know about the waiting 5 min. for the thing to reset. I left the car for about 15 min. came back out and it started right up and has started ever since like nothing happened. Thanks again for the info.