Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Car Jerks When Shifting + Puff Of Smoke On Startup (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/198936-car-jerks-when-shifting.html)

DoBeR 08-30-2003 08:13 PM

Car Jerks When Shifting + Puff Of Smoke On Startup

Hey guys I just picked up this Iroc and it has alot of kms on it but when you put it in gear you get that jerk when the automatic transmission engages. Would this be a motor mount or tranny mount??

Also, its not normal to get a small puff of oil smelling smoke when the car is first started is it?? The tube from the catalytic converter to the AIR crap is broken, would that effect anything or is it most likely leakly valve seals???

Thanks in advance...

DoBeR 08-31-2003 01:19 PM

Anyone?????

8Mike9 08-31-2003 01:29 PM

Puff of smoke is most likely valve seals...

Jerk could be due to high idle, or tranny issue....kinda need more info here..i/e what's the idle rpms?

rustybluebird 08-31-2003 01:36 PM

There are lots of things that can wear out in your drivetrain, causing slack or a jerk.
Your U-Joints are probably original + worn, same with the tranny + tourque arm mount.

Puff of blue on start up is usually indicative of valve stem seals.

Seeing as you just bought it and it has alot of kms, it would probably be a good idea to give it a overall suspension tune up. As well as the usual engine and tranny tune up + fluid/filter change.

edit- Yea, what he said.
it looks like 8Mike9 is alot faster at typing than I am

DoBeR 08-31-2003 06:41 PM

The car idles at around 1000 rpms when cold. Thats when it does the jerking I dont know if it kicks down and jerks less when its warm because I just bought the car and cant drive it on the road yet. Any suggestions on how to locate the problem?

DoBeR 09-01-2003 09:54 AM

No suggestions???

Nixon1 09-01-2003 10:04 AM

Going from 1000 rpms into drive will cause a jerk. If you flinch the gas pedal once and wait like 10 seconds, the car will usually kick back down to a normal idle speed, where it'll go into gear softer.

hydric 09-02-2003 06:05 PM

I do know that on my holley carb, there is a adjustment for idle, if a car idles at 1k rpms, thats to high and of course it will jerk like a mofo going into gear from that high of idle.

What type of fuel system u have?

DoBeR 09-02-2003 07:27 PM

My car is just stock MAF TPI. Anyone know what it should idle at??? When I was trying to do the fuel filter I pulled the fuse from the fuel pump relay, the cap said red 10 amp, but the fuse was a 20 amp. Should I put the proper one in or just leave it?

Nixon1 09-02-2003 09:12 PM

Put the proper fuse in. Too small an amperage fuse will cause it to blow excessively. Too much an amperage fuse could allow too much current through and then the fuse wont protect properly like it should.

Your idle should be probably right around 700 rpms. I adjust it to my taste...I set it and drive it for a few days, see how it behaves, and if I dont like it, I readjust it.