Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Very strange no-start issue. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/210241-very-strange-no-start.html)

Sonar_un 11-13-2003 03:52 PM

Very strange no-start issue.

Ok, my car has no power whatsoever. I turn the key and nothing starts. No fuel to the pump, no guages, no lights...etc. Absolutuly nothing.

Everything seemed normal at first. I turned my alarm off and went to start my car. I heard the first click and then nothing at all. My alarm doesn't even work anymore.

I have ~12.6 volts in my battery right now. ~12.6 to the ground on the block, and ~12.6 to the alternator. So this is what is completely confusing me now. What could it be? Is there some sort of master fuse that I blew? if there is, where would it be located?

If I hook jumper cables together, I can make them spark. If I take the negative lead off of the battery, and tap it, I don't get any spark. I am confused. What the heck is going on?

Catalingus 11-13-2003 05:30 PM

Maybe it's you ignition switch. You know the rod that is connected to your ignition lock. As it runs down your steering column there is actual switch there. If you take out two bolts that hold your steering column to the dash you'll be able to see that switch. It's on the upper right side of the column. Get a test light and check it out. It's a very cheap and easy fix. Have fun

Sonar_un 11-13-2003 05:40 PM

though, that would make some sense, but here is the wierd part. My keyless alarm system doesn't work either. That really doesn't have anything to do with the ignition switch.

Rustydawg 11-13-2003 06:32 PM

I suggest you take a look down at the starter where the car pulls it's power from the positive side of the battery.

The starter connection could be loose or you may have fried the fusible link there.

Sonar_un 11-13-2003 07:49 PM

That sounds like a very logical solution..

I will have to take a look at it.. unfortunately, its stuck at my work overnight... damn.

metalhead212121 11-13-2003 08:28 PM

Re: Very strange no-start issue.

Originally posted by Sonar_un
Ok, my car has no power whatsoever. I turn the key and nothing starts. No fuel to the pump, no guages, no lights...etc. Absolutuly nothing.

Do your headlights work?? Brake lights work??? You said "no lights".... I just wanted to know what lights your talking about...

Dan

Sonar_un 11-13-2003 09:02 PM

No headlights, or brake lights. No guage lights. Guages don't start. No interior dome lights, nothing. Everything that goes to the fuse block is out. Including my power seats and cigarette lighter which doesn't require the ignition to be turned on to function.

metalhead212121 11-13-2003 09:26 PM

This REALLY sounds like a MAJOR connection problem somewhere...... Granted you're getting 12 volts to A LOT of places but make sure you're making good connections at the battery and to the block.

Dan

Dragons91RS 11-13-2003 09:41 PM

I had a problem just like this with my Firebird, only mine went down wile driving.
check the fuseable links at the starter like rustydawg said. that is what turned out to be my problem.

the easy way to check them is to pull on the wire. if one pulls apart then it is bad.

Sonar_un 11-13-2003 10:06 PM

Yeah, thats what it has to be, a fusable link. Its going to suck fixing this in the driveway at work :)

metalhead212121 11-13-2003 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Dragons91RS
I had a problem just like this with my Firebird, only mine went down wile driving.
check the fuseable links at the starter like rustydawg said. that is what turned out to be my problem.

the easy way to check them is to pull on the wire. if one pulls apart then it is bad.

but wouldnt he still have brake lights, headlights, and a dome light IF that fusable link burnt up????????

Dan

Dragons91RS 11-14-2003 07:54 AM

Originally posted by metalhead212121
but wouldnt he still have brake lights, headlights, and a dome light IF that fusable link burnt up????????

Dan

when my fuseable link burned up nothing on my car worked. every thing just shut down. no lights, no door chime, nothing.

Blackroc86 11-14-2003 08:08 AM

Right when the fuseable link goes you will have no lights, buzzers, nada.

metalhead212121 11-14-2003 01:47 PM

I never knew that...thanks for the info.

IF that fusiable link DID break then Sonar_un is gonna HAVE to find out WHY that it burnt up. :mad:

Dan

Sonar_un 11-14-2003 02:53 PM

Well, it wasn't a fusable link guys. Turns out it was corrosion. I took everything apart (in my work driveway) and looked at the fusables, they were fine. I cleaned up the contacts with some steel wool and then checked the voltage. Seemed fine. Before the voltage was 5v or so at the starter.

Put everything back together and it started right up. Unfortunately now there is some real nasty hesitiation. I don't know why either.

Dragons91RS 11-14-2003 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Sonar_un
Well, it wasn't a fusable link guys. Turns out it was corrosion.
why do we not think of the simple stuff first :doh:

any way glad to hear you figured out what it was. but keep an eye on the wire that was corroded, it could easly have problems again.

metalhead212121 11-14-2003 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Dragons91RS
why do we not think of the simple stuff first :doh:

Originally posted by Metalhead212121

This REALLY sounds like a MAJOR connection problem somewhere...... Granted you're getting 12 volts to A LOT of places but make sure you're making good connections at the battery and to the block.

Dan

I think my orginal post stated the "simple stuff..."