Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   how much can wrong ignition timming really mess up? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/227982-how-much-can-wrong.html)

raptere 03-08-2004 11:03 PM

how much can wrong ignition timming really mess up?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey,
i have been having the problem of not being able to pass emmissions and cant find out the problem, i have replaced my o2 sensor, both cats, and have actually added an after marchet ignition system, to up the spark and combustion completion.

What i found out tonight is that my ignition timing is actually advanced 10 or more degrees . Could that be part of what is making me not pass emmissions? I also have found the car to have horrible gass milage, like 10 miles to the gallon, and the car shakes a lot especialy on ittle. Will correcting the timming help any or all of these problems?

Also the sticker on my car shows for the car to be set at 6 degrees advanced, i believe is what it says, will going even more retarded make my emmissions even cleaner, or is there a certain amount of advance/retard you suggest for best emmissions testing, also once i finish my emmissions test where would you suggest for me to set it , it is a dayly driver but i do go to the track on weekends to race, and would like to be as quick as possible.

Thanks so much for all the helpfull suggestions,
Eli J.
Raptere

raptere 03-08-2004 11:08 PM

O yea also how do you get to that distributer hold down bolt , out of all my tools and ratchets with universals i couldnt get to it, is there a trick or special tool?

And if i want to retard the timing to get it where i need it do i rotate the distributor clockwise or counterclockwise?

Thanks again,
Eli J.
Raptere

raptere 03-09-2004 09:17 AM

come on every one i really need this help or i loos my license, and also i went to a shop to have them check out the car for the emmission falior, and when they saw the timing way off they thought it could have ment there was a chip or soething i checked the prom chip and i does actually say delco on it. Does this mean is is the stock chip or could it be modifyed, or an aftermarcket one that just says delco onit?

RBob 03-09-2004 10:17 AM

Yes, if the timing is off it can cause an emissions failure along with the MPG and rough running you describe. Along the EFI & ECM vein a chip will not change the timing as the timing is properly being checked. The BYPASS (EST) connector needs to be open while checking/setting the timing. The ECM is out of the loop.

Moving to Tech . . .

RBob.

thirdgen88 03-09-2004 10:34 AM

You need an offset distributor wrench.. You can get them at any parts store.. (9/16" is the size)...

Chris89GTA 03-09-2004 12:19 PM

As said the stock setting is 6* advanced. And yes the timing being advanced can have a slight issue w/ emissions. When I got for testing, I set my advance at 0*, and it definatly helps over the 6* mark on HCs.

As for advancing it further than 6*, it won't hurt anything, unless you are getting knock from pre-ignition. I have mine set at 10* advanced right now, cause from track tuning, that seems to be where my car runs best.

Rob is right, to accurately check the timing advance w/ a timing light you have to have the EST connection unhooked.

raptere 03-09-2004 04:15 PM

Thanks guys that info sould help me out a lot no all i have to do is go out and get that wierd wrench. I go to a automotive class where they actually have it , but they wont let me borrow "School Property", and there is too much paperwork to do it there.

Thanks again,
Eli J.
Raptere

junkyarddog 03-09-2004 07:22 PM

jeez, they're not teaching you much at auto tech are they?

9/16" short with a U-joint and extension (3/8" drive)

or crows foot,

or the distributer wrench which is like $8 at autozone, by far the easiest to use.

I'm pretty sure the stubby 9/16" wrench can get it too.

time it by ear and call it a day.

Then scrape the rejection sticker out of the window, that's what I did in HS with my junk cars that never passed inspection. :lala:

thirdgen88 03-09-2004 09:07 PM

Originally posted by junkyarddog
time it by ear and call it a day.

Ok, also, don't do that... Just get a timing light and do it right.

Chris89GTA 03-09-2004 09:40 PM

Originally posted by thirdgen88
Ok, also, don't do that... Just get a timing light and do it right.
Agreed...

raptere 03-13-2004 12:04 AM

well i set it exactly to zero while that wire is disconected, yet my question is how much hould the computer change that number once the wire is reconnected. When i put the wire back on the car was running between 25-27* advance, is that what the computer is supposed to do and is that still concidered having the base timing set to 0*?

Thanks for the continuing help

thirdgen88 03-13-2004 06:42 AM

6* is the base timing, not 0*..

PyRo9862 03-13-2004 11:10 AM

It was like $8 for autozone for 2 distributer wrenchs. As much as there tools probably suck atleast they have a lifetime warrenty :)

raptere 03-14-2004 03:02 PM

well i got the rench. and set it i used Chris89GTA's suggestion of 0* for emmissions testing to clean up the hc's that i have been having the only problem with, but still is the computer supposed to be advancing it 25-27*?

dimented24x7 03-14-2004 03:23 PM

Zero is probably what you want with a later model f-body. Dont pay much attention when the computer is hooked up. Just make sure its set to what its supposed to be.