Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Surging Idle... Could it be The voltage regulator? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/415356-surging-idle-could-voltage.html)

BigBoi4Lyph 03-27-2007 06:53 PM

Surging Idle... Could it be The voltage regulator?

I saw on a form that surging idle with a volt meter that surges with the rpm gauge exactly could be a voltage regulator...

Im trying to get down to the bottom of my surging problem and i havent gotten anywhere and then i came accross that which is the EXACT same problem im having...

So can a voltage regulator being bad cause a surging idle and how?

Thanks

babsirocz 03-28-2007 06:14 AM

Re: Surging Idle... Could it be The voltage regulator?

When you say "surging" problem, is it when the car is sitting idle, or running at a stop, or after it is warmed up, when it is first started and cold?

sofakingdom 03-28-2007 06:47 AM

Surging Idle... Could it be The voltage regulator?
No.

You've got the cause and the symptom mixed up. As did whoever wrote that humorous thing about the voltage making the idle surge. That's pretty funny. consider it "entertainment", but not "technical".

The voltage is changing because the engine RPM is going up and down; not the other way around.

Clean your IAC. Leave the alternator alone.

blackroc68 03-28-2007 07:38 AM

He has a carb> no iac

sofakingdom 03-28-2007 08:41 AM

Maybe... hard to be sure...

The symptom he describes goes with fuel injection.

Look at his profile.

Maybe he has 2 cars.

Maybe he should tell us that himself.

BigBoi4Lyph 03-28-2007 10:54 AM

I have an 89 Iroc 5.7 TPI ICA is bran new, TPS is ajusted and had no dead spots, just did a tune up yesterday and the plugs were all covered in carbon, Ajusted min air accor5ding to the tech article, no codes, New MAF Good relays

The one thing i did notive is that when i unplug my o2 sensor it dosent change or throw a code...

And the surging is at idle in park or N and in Drive idling at a stop or even cruzing when rpms are 1500 or less

Sounds like detonation causing the surge so air fuel because i know it running on all 8 and my shop teacher verified.

And its on when its warm when its cold it runs like a champ then when it trys to idle down at about 160* it start surging.

Anything else. Thanks for the help!

mnorton 03-28-2007 11:17 AM

Check your fuel pressure. Could be a fuel pump issue or a fuel pressure regulator problem.

BigBoi4Lyph 03-28-2007 05:19 PM

i check fuel pressure when it was in open loop mode and it was 40 psi but the car dosent start surging untill closed loop so i need to check fuel pressure when it surges to see... O2 sensor check good and the pc is reading it .2 to .6 .2 to .6 ect ect and the car switches from rich to lean mode very fast...

BLMs are 109 to 128

What are BLMs any ways..

mnorton 03-29-2007 01:08 AM

BLM=Block Learn Mode

Basically it's a rough indication of air/fuel ratio via the O2 Sensor. 128 is great, 109 is on the rich side. Switching from Lean to Rich very fast while in closed loop is normal.

BigBoi4Lyph 04-14-2007 01:13 PM

alright sounds good i also found i had a code 13 it come up while driving on the freeway then went away but it was saved in my ecm. o2 lean at cruse i beleave i cant find a code list but im sure thats what it is.

Aussie03 12-27-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by BigBoi4Lyph (Post 3280607)
I saw on a form that surging idle with a volt meter that surges with the rpm gauge exactly could be a voltage regulator...

Im trying to get down to the bottom of my surging problem and i havent gotten anywhere and then i came accross that which is the EXACT same problem im having...

So can a voltage regulator being bad cause a surging idle and how?

Thanks

hey. I am having this same exact problem with my 1988 Dodge Ram TPI 318. I was wondering if you ever found a solution to you problem. Thank you

Tuned Performance 12-27-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie03 (Post 6270824)

hey. I am having this same exact problem with my 1988 Dodge Ram TPI 318. I was wondering if you ever found a solution to you problem. Thank you

Tpi on a 318 ??
are you using a gm ecm ?
have you followed the advice above by cleaning the iac.
the surging could be fuel related , injectors weak fuel pump.
if this is not a gm based question you should seek another forum. This is a old dead thread.

popitas2 12-27-2018 11:29 PM

Help, my 1989 Firebird, 350 TPI rpm's rev up and down when i start the car, then levels off when car gets warm. What is the problem? I installed plugs, wires, rotor, cap, ignition coil and it runs better, but still rev's RPM's when I start it in the morning. Some guy told me my MAF may be bad. i know plug number 3 has gas when I removed it. it has new fuel pump. It also hesitates from a standing start. kinda of shakes also.

maroe624 12-28-2018 12:49 AM

Check your grounds. Battery, back of heads, block.

Aussie03 12-30-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance (Post 6270828)

Tpi on a 318 ??
are you using a gm ecm ?
have you followed the advice above by cleaning the iac.
the surging could be fuel related , injectors weak fuel pump.
if this is not a gm based question you should seek another forum. This is a old dead thread.

i know now this is a gm forum it’s just that this forum had very similar problems to the ones that I am having. And I’m sorry I meant to put tbi 318. I’ve just ran out of other ideas of what the problem can be and thought I would give this a try. I have checked the injectors and they look to be spraying good and even on both banks. I have also recently took out the fuel pump and everything seems good there too. Sorry for the confusion.