Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   HELP!!! 91 V6 5 SPEED WONT RUN!!!HELP ME PLEASE (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/435317-help-91-v6-5-a.html)

w_mortell 08-09-2007 09:04 PM

HELP!!! 91 V6 5 SPEED WONT RUN!!!HELP ME PLEASE

I JUST BOUGHT A 91 FIREBIRD V6 5 SPEED AS A BANK REPO.....BAD NEWS, IT HAS NO KEYS!!! DONT KNOW WHY THE BANK DIDNT GET ANY KEYS, BUT THEY DIDNT, AND NOW I HAVE A 500.00 CAR THAT WONT START. NOW....THE CAR HAS VATS ON IT(VEHICLE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM) SO I HAD TO RUN THE STARTER RELAY AND THE FUEL PUMP OFF A TOGGLE SWITCH, AND I CAN GET THE CAR TO START IF I PRIME IT WITH GAS DIRECTLY INTO THE THROTTLE BODY, BUT IT WONT IDLE. IF I KEEP TAPPING THE GAS PEDAL I CAN KEEP IT RUNNING, BUT IT WONT REV OR HOLD AN IDLE I DONT KNOW HOW LONG THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING BEFORE I BOUGHT IT, BUT WHEN IT DOES FIRE UP, IT SOUNDS GOOD....ANYHOW. LIKE I SAID, I CANNOT GET IT TO IDLE. I HAVE CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP, FILTER, SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES, MY DIST. HAD SOME CORROSION ON IT BUT I CLEANED IT OFF AND IT SHOULD BE GETTING GOOD SPARK, I CLEANED OUT THE GAS TANK. I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW. I CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT, IS IT THE VATS NOT LETTING IT RUN, OR IS IT JUST A FUEL OR ELECTRICAL PROBLEM? ANYONE HAVE ANY KIND OF IDEA WHAT IT MIGHT BE??????

SpitotRs305 08-09-2007 09:19 PM

Re: HELP!!! 91 V6 5 SPEED WONT RUN!!!HELP ME PLEASE

it will be the vats... there is a lot of info on vats you should search but i dont know of any way to disable it without the original key.... you should probably head to a chevy dealer and they might be able to get you a new key

w_mortell 08-09-2007 09:27 PM

the local chevy dealer here is a bunch of tards.....Im in joplin Mo, and they are just wanting me to tow the damn thing in there, try as many of the 15 different keys intil it works, charge me for labor, and charge me for each key they cut reguardless of it works or doesnt work, so you can prolly understand my hesitation... $$$.......believe me, if I had the extra money to do it I would, cause Im gettin real tired of 6 hrs of the 100 degree outside days trying to figure out the problem.....and I've looked at about every page on the internet about vats and i still got nothing. anyone got anything that might help????

SpitotRs305 08-09-2007 11:15 PM

well that sounds stupid to just randomly try keys i am sure the cylinder would have the key number the only thing they need to find out is the resistance of the pellet that vats is looking for...

it might be accomplish-able with a potentiometer just crank away until the car will run then measure the resistance across the pot and then make up a resistor combo and wire it in

w_mortell 08-10-2007 01:18 AM

where can I get and what is a potentiometer? yeah, it is pretty stupid, I came in there and talked to about 4 or 5 different guys and none of them seemed to know what they were talking about. I found a vats module/key cylinder/key on ebay, I am wondering if I could just switch that for mine....or I dont know if there would be a problem with the computer......also I thought about just switching the computer/vats/cylinder/key out of another car and maybe that will work, I have another car I might be able to get it out of....but I dont know if that would work or not too....guess I couldnt be much worse off than I am now though