Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Gas Gauge and Oil Pressure Gauge doesnt work...Should i just get a new cluster or ?? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/450883-gas-gauge-oil-pressure.html)

Decayed312 12-01-2007 10:44 AM

Gas Gauge and Oil Pressure Gauge doesnt work...Should i just get a new cluster or ??

So i bought a 92 camaro the other day and the gas gauge and oil pressure gauge do not respond to anything. I figured maybe the gas gauge just sticks at a certain point so i capped off the tank just to see if itll move a hair....NOTHING...and then oil pressure dont even know where to start to mess with that... I know theres a sensor right above where the oil filter goes but should i even try replacing that???... i dont know where to start and hoping someone has an idea...

maybe i should replace the entire cluster??:huh:

RazorN8 12-01-2007 11:37 AM

Re: Gas Gauge and Oil Pressure Gauge doesnt work...Should i just get a new cluster or

I have problems with both of these gauges too. The gas gauge needle gets stuck behind the plastic shroud in front of the gauges when i fill up. I just smack it a few times and it falls down to the full mark. The oil pressure gauge is stuck in the vertical up position and won't register anything. I'll be watching this post to see what advice you get because i'm curious too.

xGR1Mx 12-01-2007 12:13 PM

Re: Gas Gauge and Oil Pressure Gauge doesnt work...Should i just get a new cluster or

If your cluster is damaged, preventing it from letting them move then i'd say you need a new one. However, my oil gauge is shot too, it stays pinned all the way up. I know that i'd need an oil sender switch to fix this. It's the thing you said, next to/under your distributor cap. It's easy to change. I'm not really sure about the gas gauge though. Try the cheaper thing first, like the switch, and see if it works. You don't want to buy a whole new cluster to find out its the switch.
----------
And razor, i have the same car as you, it's not slow! haha

Decayed312 12-01-2007 12:50 PM

how do you find out whether its damaged or not...and if its not...wheres this switch your talking about?

RazorN8 12-01-2007 01:37 PM

You said there is an oil pressure sender switch by the DISTRIBUTER CAP? I'm gonna check it out. Your pressure gauge has the exact same symtoms as mine.

Decayed312 12-02-2007 09:32 AM

TTT

xGR1Mx 12-02-2007 09:29 PM

I meant physically damaged, as if if was punched in. Otherwise im not sure. The oil sender switch, if your standing in front of your car looking in the engine, its gonna be to the right of the distributor. Its a cylinder shaped object.