Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   oil leak question (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/468387-oil-leak-question.html)

82Five-O 03-31-2008 08:19 PM

oil leak question

I drained my oil today because i was going to drop the oil pan and attemp to stop a oil leak.

Then approximately 10 1/2 quarts of oil came out of my pan! Could this be the reason oil was leaking from the front of the oil pan?

3.492rs 03-31-2008 08:24 PM

Re: oil leak question

uh yea, im suprised the engine even turned over.

bob8703 03-31-2008 08:27 PM

wow man thats a lot of oil for the car. your only supposed to have 4 quarts in there. if that much came out then it was over filled. as to if it made the leak appear, no it would not make it leak.

82Five-O 04-01-2008 12:20 AM

I got my brakes done at a Jiffy lube type place, the oil change was free, i guess they overfilled it. As for turning over, i wouldnt notice, i got a hi torque starter that'll turn over up to 18:1 engines.

Also, the leak only occurs when the engine is running. Where the TCC meets the oil pan on the driver side, they kind of intersect, it barely squirts oil, but it is a lot.
What should i do?

ljnowell 04-01-2008 12:47 AM

Ive seen it worse. We have oil on guns at work. A new lube guy dialed up 15.2qts instead of 5.2. It rolled out. Came back 1/2 an hour later fogging up everything behind it.

wrsjr 04-01-2008 08:17 AM

Add the right amount of oil in the engine and see if it still leaks.

91chevywt 04-01-2008 10:50 AM

excessive oil can definetly cause a leak. if you had anything like 10 quarts in your car that seems like it would cause your problem.

This reminds me of something that happened at the neighborhood shop. A lady with a ford focus came in, complaining her car was smoking. And it was smoking baddd. Well, someone checked the dipstick and all they could see was oil on it. She was asked if she added any oil, and she said yes. When asked how much she added, she said "until it was full." Her definition of full was until she could see oil in the oil fill...

82Five-O 04-01-2008 02:08 PM

the kicker is that there's still about a quart in the oil filter!! it's still on th engine. so thats about 11 quarts and a small leak. I hope the leak quits once i get the correct amount of oil in there.

pandin 04-02-2008 02:56 AM

Sounds like you got a free oil fill and not the free oil drain. Was the filter changed?

91chevywt 04-02-2008 09:07 PM

Someone at the shop could have just put oil in thinking it had already been drained and not checked the dipstick. i havent seen too much oil, but there was a guy at a shop i worked at who got burned for putting 4 quarts in a motor that should have had 8 and the low oil light came on. oil couldnt be seen on the dipstick and the tech never checked it. The guy had been there 12 years and almost lost his job...he was depressed for like 2 weeks. The customer thought his engine was damaged and brought a police officer to the shop. It wasn't very nice. But anyway my point is that technicians dont always check dipsticks...actually they usually dont unless they have doubt. Even when they have doubt sometimes they wont check they just dont care when theyre working flat rate. Someone was probably in a bad mood, getting comebacks and such, and said f**k it and put 5 quarts in it without thinking