Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   im buying new cylinder heads... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/475597-im-buying-new-cylinder.html)

noroxus 05-15-2008 03:06 AM

im buying new cylinder heads...

i dont want to spend a terribly high amount for new heads, but i want some aluminum ones to replace these aweful 882s on my 355

i want 64cc ~200cc intake aluminum heads, i was considering either the cheap patriot or procomp heads as i havnt heard anything too bad about either. i would also consider used.

these are more or less temp heads till i build my blown 383 in a year or so.

does anyone have any input or suggestions?

im looking to spend >$1000 shipped

5678TA 05-15-2008 04:01 AM

Re: im buying new cylinder heads...

IMO, if you are just gonna throw em out when the blown 383 is built, dont waste your time or money.. i wouldnt spend another dime on the motor if i had my sights set on another build..

say you get heads for $1000, when you sell them to build your blown 383 you might get $700 back.. you already lost $300 towards your bigger, better heads that your 383 will need..

i would say just suck it up till then..

just my :2cents:

Ozz1967 05-15-2008 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by noroxus (Post 3755737)
i dont want to spend a terribly high amount for new heads, but i want some aluminum ones to replace these aweful 882s on my 355

i want 64cc ~200cc intake aluminum heads, i was considering either the cheap patriot or procomp heads as i havnt heard anything too bad about either. i would also consider used.

these are more or less temp heads till i build my blown 383 in a year or so.

does anyone have any input or suggestions?

im looking to spend >$1000 shipped

If you don't need or care about emissions, I'd get a set of Vortec's. They run under $700 for the set assembled. If you want to plan for the 383, you could always get a set of bigger Dart or World heads now, sure they might be a little large for your needs now but would be perfect for the 383 and they run about $1000 or so (Before shipping assembled).

impaled 05-15-2008 01:38 PM

if i were you, i would just save and get the heads for the 383 when you can and not waste a grand on heads you wouldnt use then. even if you go with some huge intake runner heads for now you might lose a little bit down low, but you would still see a decent increase in power (especially over your current heads) for now without wasting a grand.

just make sure the heads combustion chamber volume you get for the blown 383 would be compatible for your piston choice for the blown 383 for the desired compression ratio / boost you want to run on what fuel.

i know alot of people who swear by the dart iron eagle platinum heads, and they are relatively cheaper than the dart pro 1 aluminum for semi similar flow #'s.