Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Which D to drive in on a 89 iroc z automatic. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/520111-d-drive-89-iroc.html)

sinbad2000 04-07-2009 05:11 PM

Which D to drive in on a 89 iroc z automatic.

The one with the plain D, or the D in a circle? thanks and dont laugh.:banned:

blkfirebird91 04-07-2009 05:27 PM

Re: Which D to drive in on a 89 iroc z automatic.

Originally Posted by sinbad2000 (Post 4111131)
The one with the plain D, or the D in a circle? thanks and dont laugh.:banned:

hey man for city i would cruise in D and on highway i would Cruise in OD which is the D with the circle around it

sinbad2000 04-07-2009 05:33 PM

Thanks!

blkfirebird91 04-07-2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sinbad2000 (Post 4111159)
Thanks!

your welcome

RobSS1113 04-07-2009 09:06 PM

wow sinbad, im not gonna laugh here but is this your first car? Yeah I do the same thing.. I drive in "D" Drive in the city and when I get on the Highway I throw it in Circle D ! a.k.a. Overdrive.

sinbad2000 04-07-2009 10:07 PM

No, i just wanted to know if its best to drive them like you explained... The city highway thing, a friend of mine told me to use overdrive on the highway, just wanted to make sure.

five7kid 04-07-2009 11:09 PM

OD all the time, regardless.

Uh, except at the drag strip . . .

STRIKER911 04-07-2009 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid (Post 4111663)
OD all the time, regardless.

Uh, except at the drag strip . . .

I asked a guy at the tranny shop this and he said early cars had hydraulic overdrives while the newer ones had electronic (may be the other way around). The older ones should be in d in the city and the newer ones are fine where ever. Call a shop to get the precise info. I drive my 89 in d in the city.

RS Reaper 04-07-2009 11:49 PM

OD most of the time, when I'm just getting around (Saves gas).
D when I'm having a little fun with speed.

Stephen 04-08-2009 12:00 AM

Really...I'm trying not to laugh. But I think my laughter is more aimed at whoever taught you to drive, be it your parents or the High School instructor.

But I drive mine in OD 99.999% of the time, regardless of city or highway. Besides, the tranny controls itself by starting from 1st gear regardless. By putting it in Drive, your only causing the drivetrain to run in higher RPMs, when it could be spinning slower & lasting longer, as a result.

High RPMs cause more friction, which causes higher temps. Higher temps shorten auto trannies lives.

Darkshot 04-08-2009 12:08 AM

I use D in the city and (D) on the highway. Yes, there is a difference.

Personally, when in (D), my transmission doesn't act right in the lower gears. It slips. Doesn't do it in D. Once I'm up to speed I can shift into (D) without problems.

STRIKER911 04-08-2009 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Darkshot (Post 4111708)
I use D in the city and (D) on the highway. Yes, there is a difference.

Personally, when in (D), my transmission doesn't act right in the lower gears. It slips. Doesn't do it in D. Once I'm up to speed I can shift into (D) without problems.

my trans does the same thing. shifts to soon. Its only got 4k on it too so its not your trans. Why have two drives for no reason otherwise? If you where hard on the gas then it wont shift till it has to anyways when its in od right?

tony_cogliandro 04-08-2009 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by RobSS1113 (Post 4111499)
wow sinbad, im not gonna laugh here but is this your first car? Yeah I do the same thing.. I drive in "D" Drive in the city and when I get on the Highway I throw it in Circle D ! a.k.a. Overdrive.

he was right to ask about that year. that was the last year that the 700r4 trans had a problem with shifting back and forth and burning itself out. it was a common problem and they finally fixed it in the 90 model.
had a family member that worked for gm and the dealers were constantly getting burned out 700's because they would shift themselves between 3rd and 4th so much they just quit working.
sometimes it would burn out everything and sometimes they would lock in 4th - never get into 4th or just stop working.
so it was a good question.

STRIKER911 04-08-2009 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by tony_cogliandro (Post 4111728)
he was right to ask about that year. that was the last year that the 700r4 trans had a problem with shifting back and forth and burning itself out. it was a common problem and they finally fixed it in the 90 model.
had a family member that worked for gm and the dealers were constantly getting burned out 700's because they would shift themselves between 3rd and 4th so much they just quit working.
sometimes it would burn out everything and sometimes they would lock in 4th - never get into 4th or just stop working.
so it was a good question.

c i kinda knew lol. As soon as I get off the hwy mine goes into d. Friend of mine had the same trans go out two times, & I told him years ago how to shift it. He still didn't learn. He has another car mero with trans trouble. May not be the same thing. He had a shift kit put in by a place called royal trans. said when he drives it for the first 30 minutes it revs way up before it shifts, then after that it shifts like it has no kit in it at all.

He let it sit it self out of warranty so he wants me to put a new filter in it. Said it helped the first time for a while. i told him it sounds like the converter is going. Whats your take on that?

Synful 04-08-2009 12:57 PM

The real reason your trannies are shifting too soon is this:

they are automatic trannies.

:lmao:

STRIKER911 04-08-2009 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Synful (Post 4112211)
The real reason your trannies are shifting too soon is this:

they are automatic trannies.

:lmao:

What lol, well u have an extra t-56 laying around you can help a bother out with? I hate my trans. Oh well one day I will have the 6 speed.

Synful 04-08-2009 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by STRIKER911 (Post 4112477)
What lol, well u have an extra t-56 laying around you can help a bother out with? I hate my trans. Oh well one day I will have the 6 speed.

go get a T5 in the meantime and just be careful not to drop the clutch @3500RPMS too often

STRIKER911 04-08-2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Synful (Post 4112482)
go get a T5 in the meantime and just be careful not to drop the clutch @3500RPMS too often

I would have done that, but the guy I bought my car from had just rebuilt the motor and trans. Still only have 4k on them. Guys at the shop should have kick him in the as s for rebuilding a 305, & 700r fart.