Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   What is an ideal idle RPM? I think (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/524456-what-ideal-idle-rpm.html)

omnipotentgoku 05-04-2009 12:36 PM

What is an ideal idle RPM? I think

Please bear with me as I have searched and did not have the right words to get the answer I needed.

I have an 87 IROC, 350 TPI , B&M holeshot 2400 stall torque converter, stage 2 Lingenfelter CAm (can get exact specs later) , AFPR , upgraded injectors ( I think they were 20 lph mustang injectors) and other mods that may or may not be relevant.

My problem is that I do not have fully functioning gauges, (only speedo at the moment) but I think my idle is way too high. From idle, I can cruise at almost 25 MPH, and first gear is all but non existent except when I pop the Megashifter down into first and hold it their. (gears are fine and tranny is fine) . What information would be needed to determine where my idle should be ? (I know how to modify it through the screw on throttle) And will this give me back first gear ?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

fast82z 05-04-2009 02:17 PM

Re: What is an ideal idle RPM? I think

I've always set mine at whatever I feel like high enough for the car to not stall out. Even on my big cam 264/271 dur @ .050, I idle it in the 650-800rpm area.

stevenb 05-04-2009 04:35 PM

The problem is you won't know and we won't know what is ideal unless you get a tach. I agree with fast82z, but it depends on the car really...some might stall out at higher than 800rpms.

omnipotentgoku 05-05-2009 11:44 AM

Ok, how about this, should my idle be below my Torque converters stall, and if I set the idle too low, should I increase the fuel pressure (it bogs when the idle is too low )

GadeXTrigger 05-05-2009 11:59 AM

i was always told no matter what the RPM's should be a steady 700 and any lower than 500 and it will bog down and stall out but it could always depend on your Torque converter and tranny and other random things

Highhorse78 05-05-2009 11:28 PM

Get your cam specs especially the lobe seperation amount. If you're running 112* LSA you'll want to idle a little higher at around 600-700rpm. With 114* LSA you can maintain a lower idle anywhere from 550-650rpm. Also, your stall should let you be able idle a little lower.

omnipotentgoku 05-06-2009 02:57 AM

Well, I went and adjusted that screw, but I am realizing that it is only doing so much. Its flat now, but the RPM still seems high. Should I be concerned that my TPS sensor does not respond to even being disconnected while the car is running? That cant be good.