Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   distributor removal and installation (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/530315-distributor-removal-installation.html)

johnny89345 06-15-2009 02:44 AM

distributor removal and installation

i want to know whats the proper way to remove and install a new distributor in my camaro. im doing head gaskets and thats the only thing i really dont know for sure how to do.

Stekman 06-15-2009 03:14 AM

Re: distributor removal and installation

If you're doing head gaskets, it doesn't really matter how it's removed, as you'll have to tear apart the top valve train anyway. You're going to have to redo valve lash anyway, which involves turning the engine to rotate the cam. Camshaft rotation (or lack thereof) is the only reason you'd mark the distributor. Were you not going to have to rotate the cam, you'd mark the rotor to get it back to proper firing hole upon restab. However, since you have to turn the engine to set valve lash, you can just stab the dizzy and make wherever the rotor is pointing go to whatever plug is on the firing stroke.

Just unplug all the electrical connectors, and undo the distributor hold down bolt at the base. Obviously plug wires will have to come off. Then just twist and pull. Simple. Hold down bolt can be a pain, though.

johnny89345 06-15-2009 04:24 AM

i can bolt the distributor in before i set valve lash that doesnt matter. just making sure thats how its done so just mark the direction of the rotor. what if i screw up then how do you determine the direction of the rotor

Stekman 06-15-2009 09:41 AM

Yep, distributor can go in either before or after doing lash, doesn't matter. Either way, just leave the cap off so you can see which direction the rotor ends up pointing. Then just make whatever terminal the rotor is pointing at correspond with whatever plug is on TDC firing. Or, if you're picky, you can rotate it so it's plugged at stock orientation, doesn't really matter.

fast82z 06-15-2009 04:14 PM

I've found it easy to set the motor/dist. at a nice point and put a mark on the distributor and on the rotor and just line those marks back up as long as you don't spin the motor in between removal and installation of the dist. You'll probably need to spin the motor over to remove all of the rockers, but you should be able to set the dist. back in the motor after taking off the intake so things stay lined up while you spin the motor over as long as the dist is held down so the gear doesn't just lift the dist. up in the process.

If you've done it enough and feel confident about it the above ways work, but I think this way is more stupid proof.

osirus 06-15-2009 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by fast82z (Post 4190781)

If you've done it enough and feel confident about it the above ways work, but I think this way is more stupid proof.

:iagree:

That's how I've always done it. Starting with the second time! haha.

johnny89345 06-16-2009 02:53 AM

can i remove the rockers prior to everything. so theres no chance of screwing up.

hot92RS 06-16-2009 05:52 AM

As far as the hold down bolt being a pain, I have a bent wrench that fits down there pretty good, while it it still a pain, it is a little easier. I did the same thing with a wrench for the last bolt on the passenger side exhaust manifold for my headers-only had to cut it to about 3" to be able to swing the wrench. I bought a cheap wrench and was able to modify it, then I put tape around it and marked it exactly for what it was to be used for.

aztekxtreme 06-16-2009 08:44 AM

hey hot92RS how did u end up modifying that wrench? sounds like I'll have to do that too :-)

hot92RS 06-16-2009 09:38 AM

Take a box wrench and heat it up with a torch, I will get the measurements and the angle for you later today

osirus 06-16-2009 09:05 PM

I used allen head bolts for my headers it really helps with the clearance. Still took forever haha.

fast82z 06-16-2009 09:58 PM

Removing the rockers first would be the easiest way, then align it in a nice place and mark it.

johnny89345 06-17-2009 01:15 AM

thanks guys and the easiest way to go is snapon for those wrenches they have mini wrenchs. i have no problem at all removing the hold down bolt also the ratcheting wrenches are definitly a plus

afremont 06-17-2009 08:12 AM

I have an old one that looks like this, but not chrome.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
Works perfectly on the camaro. Summit sells one for like $5.

hot92RS 06-17-2009 08:21 AM

That wrench is very similiar to the ones that I have.