Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   No hot restart (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/581817-no-hot-restart.html)

campbellerman 07-28-2010 09:08 PM

No hot restart

what can cause a car to run flawlessly but not restart when warm? i have a 1990 T/A 305 TPI and it has a new injectors, new distributor, a new ign module, new pickup coil, new plugs and wires, new accel cap and rotor and msd coil. I can drive the car until its operating temp, turn the car off and then try to start it again and it will just turn over and over and not start. i have found that i can let it sit for about 10 secs in between starts and it will fire up...this has me baffeled what can be causing this???

mr.badwrench 07-28-2010 09:48 PM

Re: No hot restart

fuel pump check pressure

campbellerman 07-28-2010 10:02 PM

Sorry i forgot to add that i have 43 at rail and 38 while cranking fuel pump was replaced about a month ago

mr.badwrench 07-29-2010 12:59 AM

change the fuel pump. if that dont work let me know

campbellerman 07-29-2010 09:12 PM

i checked the pressure again today and im still getting the same numbers

campbellerman 08-03-2010 07:58 PM

UPDATE car did not start again today but i unplugged the coolant temp sensor and it started like nothing was wrong do you think that i found my problem?

campbellerman 08-11-2010 10:24 PM

i replaced the cts but it still does the same thing and it did it today when the engine was cold,let it sit for a min and it fires right up it also runs lean and i have a vacuum leak

mh82camaro 08-12-2010 12:31 AM

no these cars are notorious for heat soak issues...mine does it also....i have done everything. changed fuel pump, installed carb heat spacer, wrapped fuel lines by header....etc. (by the way i have a carb setup) i guess depending on the year...the dealership used to have various tsbs...on this issue....let me know if you ever find anything or figure it out...i never have...

BloodyBlueBird 08-12-2010 03:46 AM

mh82camaro, what carb are you running. Either way this happened with my holley. All I did was lowered the fuel level and I was good to go. See there was too much fuel in the bowls. Just a suggestion.

mh82camaro 08-12-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by BloodyBlueBird (Post 4639316)
mh82camaro, what carb are you running. Either way this happened with my holley. All I did was lowered the fuel level and I was good to go. See there was too much fuel in the bowls. Just a suggestion.

i am running a 600cfm electric choke edelbrock....like i said...i bought fuel line heat wrap, new stock style pump, the heat spacer under carb....it only does it when it gets hot and it sits for a while....example....going to dinner after a cruise...yeah let me know what you did....im interested

Gumby 08-12-2010 11:19 AM

first thing SEARCH

this is one of the most common topics in the summer month and you will find all sort of common problems and fixes.