Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Harmonic Balancer Degree?? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/614891-harmonic-balancer-degree.html)

buddiee 05-19-2011 06:57 PM

Harmonic Balancer Degree??

Hi, ive recently thrown on a new intake and carb. on my 305 camaro rs.

everything is ready to go untill i run into this problem.
Ive never timed an engine before!

So if i can get some help as far as,
  1. setting the harmonic balancer. (degree needed? BTDC or ATDC)
  2. which way the rotor should be facing
  3. and timing number
Ive barely started working on cars this year, but im learning more everyday. I dont wanna grow up and take my car to a mechanic for everything.

jkrustchinsky 05-19-2011 07:10 PM

Re: Harmonic Balancer Degree??

there is a bolt in the center of your harmonic balancer. get a long wrench and the correct socket size for the bolt. Remove your number 1 spark plug. Turn the wrench clockwise with your finger in the spark plug hole, it may seem difficult if you dont have much strength. While turning the engine over wait until you feel air rushing past your finger. This mean the the number 1 piston is coming up on its compression stroke. Now remove your finger and look at your harmonic balancer, align the "0" mark on the balancer with the timing pointer arrow on the timing chain cover. your engine is now tdc compression stroke for number 1 piston.

now take your distributor with the cap off and the rotor on, and slowly drop it into the hole. Keep the rotor pointed at the number 1 piston. Put your distributor cap back on. put your wires on starting with number 1 and working your way around.

oH HorizoN 05-19-2011 08:18 PM

I just want to add to jkrustchinsky's post, that it's going to be awfully hard to turn the motor over by hand if it's completely intact. He'll be pushing on (possibly) 7 cylinder's worth of compression, and all the valve springs pressure.

AlkyIROC 05-19-2011 09:36 PM

You bar the engine over by hand with all the spark plugs out.

When dropping the distributor in, it also needs to line up to the oil pump drive. The rotor will turn slightly as it meshes with the camshaft so move it so that when it's fully seated, the rotor will point to the #1 plug wire. If it doesn't drop all the way in, pull it out and use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the oil pump drive until the distributor drops in all the way.

Firing order is 18436572 in a clockwise rotation.

With the balancer marks lined up and #1 at TDC, before you tighten down the distributor, pull the rotor off so you can see the pickup points. Line up the pickups and the distributor is now very close to TDC timed. Install the rotor, cap, plugs and wires and the engine should fire up. Then use a timing light to set the timing to the correct spot.

camaronewbie 05-20-2011 11:16 PM

You mention carb and intake - what about distributor? You cannot use factory distributor with a carb.