Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   can an unplugged a/c compressor lock up? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/643247-can-unplugged-c-compressor.html)

nickfrmtx89 02-26-2012 09:29 PM

can an unplugged a/c compressor lock up?

last fall i was on a 2 hr road trip and on the way back i noticed my car running hotter than is usually does, i pulled over and popped the hood and saw a small amount of smoke coming from the center clutch on my a/c compressor and it was stopping a few times causing the belt to slip on the water pump(causing my overheating). i unplugged the compressor b/c i didn't have the money for a new one and that fixed that problem, i figure with winter on the way i'll get it fixed sometime before next spring. today i noticed the compressor was making a whining sound and getting a little warm. will it lock up even though its basically free spinning right now?

305sbc 02-26-2012 09:32 PM

Re: can an unplugged a/c compressor lock up?

Originally Posted by nickfrmtx89 (Post 5194904)
last fall i was on a 2 hr road trip and on the way back i noticed my car running hotter than is usually does, i pulled over and popped the hood and saw a small amount of smoke coming from the center clutch on my a/c compressor and it was stopping a few times causing the belt to slip on the water pump(causing my overheating). i unplugged the compressor b/c i didn't have the money for a new one and that fixed that problem, i figure with winter on the way i'll get it fixed sometime before next spring. today i noticed the compressor was making a whining sound and getting a little warm. will it lock up even though its basically free spinning right now?

IRT your question can it lock up, yes absolutely.
That's why GM cycles the A/C compressor when you use the defrost option of your HVAC control, - because so many compressors would lock up from lack of use in winter or in far northern climates.
Unplugging the A/C compressor in winter is a proven way to improve fuel mileage, but it does risk the compressor locking if you do not plug it back in sometimes.

nickfrmtx89 02-26-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 305sbc (Post 5194907)
IRT your question can it lock up, yes absolutely.
That's why GM cycles the A/C compressor when you use the defrost option of your HVAC control, - because so many compressors would lock up from lack of use in winter or in far northern climates.
Unplugging the A/C compressor in winter is a proven way to improve fuel mileage, but it does risk the compressor locking if you do not plug it back in sometimes.

right now its a low whining sound that you can't really hear unless you pop the hood put your ear down their(the compressor) to listen but it is whining. i'm gonna order a bypass tomorrow but will it give me any obvious big signs before it locks up for good, a louder whining or something?

305sbc 02-26-2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by nickfrmtx89 (Post 5194922)
right now its a low whining sound that you can't really hear unless you pop the hood put your ear down their(the compressor) to listen but it is whining. i'm gonna order a bypass tomorrow but will it give me any obvious big signs before it locks up for good, a louder whining or something?

It would likely get louder.
It is possible the whine you hear is the electrical clutch mechanism. You might want to go get it checked to make sure what it is.

There is a lube you can add to the A/C system refrigerant to help prevent compressor failure if it is that.