Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Temp guage not working (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/648067-temp-guage-not-working.html)

mrozzie1 04-11-2012 06:36 PM

Temp guage not working

I have an 87 Camaro (V8 305) and the temp guage just went belly up. I replaced the temp sensor (the 2 wire one located near the thermostat) and it did not correct the problem. Today I picked up a temp. sender (single wire one) but I can't locate where it is so I can replace it. I was told it is on the driver side on the head, but I can't locate it. Any ideas guys?

Brando5641 04-11-2012 07:38 PM

Re: Temp guage not working

SEARCH I found the answer just by googling it.

canadian 04-11-2012 07:44 PM

It is on the drivers side head inbetween #1 & #3 (I think). It should be a green wire. Feel around the head, its not too hard to find. Make sure the engine is good and cold when you take it out, sitting for 30 minutes isn't gonna cut it (ask me how I know).

Brando5641 04-11-2012 08:15 PM

How do you know

mrozzie1 04-11-2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brando5641 (Post 5240626)
How do you know

How do I know it's not working? Its all the way to the right and on the needle.

mrozzie1 04-11-2012 08:24 PM

Ok, I located the one you are talking aabout, but the spot where the wire connects is different. The factory one had a ball connection on top and the one I just got is flat wit ha hole in it. Could this beone of the O2 sensors?

canadian 04-11-2012 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brando5641 (Post 5240626)
How do you know

Well I'll put it like this, just because the coolant in the rad is cool doesn't mean the coolant in the block is. It was a dumb mistake, alcohol might have been involved that day.

Originally Posted by mrozzie1 (Post 5240641)
Ok, I located the one you are talking aabout, but the spot where the wire connects is different. The factory one had a ball connection on top and the one I just got is flat wit ha hole in it. Could this beone of the O2 sensors?

They used two different style senders, sounds like you got the wrong one.

mrozzie1 05-15-2016 04:53 PM

I hope I'm hijacking this post but I have a 1987 Camaro 305 and the temp gauge is pinned above the max. Is this a gauge issue or should I be looking to replace one of the temp sensors? I know one is located up on the I take and one down between the plugs on driver side. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sofakingdom 05-15-2016 05:58 PM

The gauge sending unit is between the #1 & #3 plugs.

Pegged to the right = wire shorted to ground

Might wanna just take a look at the wire before spending money needlessly. Might just need to be plugged back in.

mrozzie1 05-15-2016 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 6039279)
The gauge sending unit is between the #1 & #3 plugs.

Pegged to the right = wire shorted to ground

Might wanna just take a look at the wire before spending money needlessly. Might just need to be plugged back in.

So do you think it's the ground coming from the sending unit between the 1-3 plugs? I did notice that connection (ball type) was not really that tight but I did not check grounding. Where would the ground wire be for that? Things are tight in that area and the sending unit has only one wire going to it.

sofakingdom 05-15-2016 06:52 PM

There's no ground wire. The sending unit is grounded to the casting.

More likely, the wire has come loose, and is laying against ground somewhere.

Not sure about "tight"... kinda right out in the open, really...

If not, disconnect it, turn the key on, and make sure the gauge goes to 0. If it doesn't, pop the cluster bezel off and help it GENTLY with your finger, with the key On. Then hook the wire back up and see if it works right.

mrozzie1 05-16-2016 05:46 AM

Ok I will give that a try. When I say the sensor is in a "tight" area I am not talking about the sensor on the top of the I take but the one between plugs 1 & 3 and it is fairly tight in that area. It can be removed don't get me wrong, just not a lot of room for my hand. Also, if it turns out I need to replace it will antifreeze come out as soon as I open it.

sofakingdom 05-16-2016 07:14 AM

will antifreeze come out as soon as I open it
Yes of course: it goes right into the water jacket.