Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Opinions on proper valve adjustment hydraulic cam/lifters, with roller rockers (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/658032-opinions-proper-valve-adjustment.html)

silentkillzr 07-25-2012 09:59 PM

Opinions on proper valve adjustment hydraulic cam/lifters, with roller rockers

I want some opinions on the proper procedure to adjust valves on my SBC.
350, hydraulic cam and lifters. Chromoly push rods and 1.6 roller rockers with locks.

Thanks guys! :)

ZZ28ZZ 07-26-2012 12:04 AM

Re: Opinions on proper valve adjustment hydraulic cam/lifters, with roller rockers

Warm-up eng (a warm eng will idle lower and cut down on the oily mess). Shut it off. Pull valve covers off. Start eng. Back off on rocker arm adjustment until you hear it tapping. Slowly tighten until tapping stops. VERY SLOWLY tighten exactly 5/8 of a turn more, lock it down, done. Repeat with next rockers until they're all done.
Or,, you can tighten them all until they just stop tapping, lock them down. Shut off eng, tighten them all 5/8 of a turn more, lock them down, done..
Let eng cool and clean up the mess..
Don't rev eng with the valve covers off, you will have a lot bigger mess!

TreeFiddy 07-26-2012 12:12 AM

Re: Opinions on proper valve adjustment hydraulic cam/lifters, with roller rockers

:search:

This has to be one of the most re-iterated questions asked, there has to be hundreds of threads on this. There are several methods - engine running as above, or do half - rotate - do other half, or EOIC, etc.

silentkillzr 07-26-2012 12:15 AM

I know i tried search i just wanted personal opinion with my rocker setup. This is a fresh engine, so the first run im going to have to break it in, I wanted to get them as close to set as i can before i fire it up, guess ill have to manually roll the motor over and adjust them.

vetteoz 07-26-2012 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by silentkillzr (Post 5337076)
I wanted to get them as close to set as i can before i fire it up, .

So you don't get a choice with a cold engine.
All you can do is tighten them down until the pushrod stops spinning , then add the recommended 1/2 - 3/4 a turn extra

silentkillzr 07-26-2012 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by vetteoz (Post 5337106)
So you don't get a choice with a cold engine.
All you can do is tighten them down until the pushrod stops spinning , then add the recommended 1/2 - 3/4 a turn extra

Alrighty, thanks for the input!

RBob 07-26-2012 12:01 PM

I don't recommend the push rod spinning method as it is easy to go too far into the pre-load.

It is better to jiggle the push rod up & down. Do this as you slowly turn the nut down until the free play is gone.

On an engine that needs all rockers adjusted I do it this way:

Back off all rockers until they all have play.

Adjust all rockers until there is no play. Just go down one side then the other side.

Rotate engine about 90* and check/adjust all rockers until there is no play. Don't back off any rocker adjust.

Rotate engine another 90* and check/adjust all rockers until there is no play.

Do this for two full engine revolutions.

Now add the 1/2 - 5/8 turn to all rockers to add the pre-load and lock them. To lock them run the allen screw down, then rotate the polylock & allen screw together just a hair to fully lock them in place.

RBob.