Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Changing gas tank filler neck (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/658641-changing-gas-tank-filler.html)

JLCustomizing 08-02-2012 01:08 PM

Changing gas tank filler neck

I was wondering when your changing out your filler neck and gas tank how your suppose to attach the filler neck to the tank itself? I have a really clean used tank then a new filler neck but I didnt know if for some odd reason it was welded or if I can track down a rubber grommet or something that would hold it in?

RBob 08-02-2012 01:42 PM

Re: Changing gas tank filler neck

They get soldered on. If you don't have a monster size soldering iron can take it to a radiator shop to have it done.

RBob.

JLCustomizing 08-18-2012 06:29 PM

Im surprised no one has tried to use a rubber grommet to seat it. I have no idea since the shop ripped the old tank out and cut the filler neck what position to solder on the filler neck at. I have a new neck and a oem tank that I ordered. Maybe a 93+ firebird grommet?

paulo57509 08-19-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by RBob (Post 5343096)
They get soldered on. If you don't have a monster size soldering iron can take it to a radiator shop to have it done.

RBob.

The correct and only way to do it.

Or you can return the tank and filler neck and buy a tank with the neck already attached.

JLCustomizing 09-08-2012 12:16 PM

Come to find out there is a grommet that works perfectly with the 82-92 firebird. Extremely tight seal and you need to lube it/heat it since its so tight but works perfectly, no leaks. If anyone runs into this and wants to switch to a grommet its the Dorman 577-500. 2.5 in od and 1.6 in id.

TTOP350 09-08-2012 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JLCustomizing (Post 5373562)
Come to find out there is a grommet that works perfectly with the 82-92 firebird. Extremely tight seal and you need to lube it/heat it since its so tight but works perfectly, no leaks. If anyone runs into this and wants to switch to a grommet its the Dorman 577-500. 2.5 in od and 1.6 in id.

Since the neck is almost a pressfit, that I gotta see! You have pix of it installed??

JLCustomizing 09-08-2012 01:11 PM

I can snap some, i took it apart while i finish undercoating it. The thickness of the actually grommet where it snugs into the lip is so small that it managed to work. I was amazed as well due to the normal minimal lip on these cars.

JLCustomizing 10-09-2012 12:53 AM

UPDATE:
Got the car done and took it on (2) 240 mile round trips with no problems. Gas neck is from spectra and actually seats right behind the gas door. So everything worked out well using the grommet and saves a bit of labor.