Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Replaced Ignition Coil, Now Car Won't Rev Past 3k RPM, Stutters Slightly (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/696784-replaced-ignition-coil-now.html)

92g92 02-12-2014 09:43 PM

Replaced Ignition Coil, Now Car Won't Rev Past 3k RPM, Stutters Slightly

My car was running more or less fine, besides a shuddering and drop in RPM at idle when in drive. The car would shudder and drop to under 500 rpm, sometimes actually dying on me. When it wouldn't die, it would shoot up to over 1k rpm and then drop back to 650 rpm studdering and shuddering. The tach also jumps and dances all the time like I had a bad wire or a short somewhere. I tried replacing the TPS to fix the idle and dying issues, that did nothing. I read of someone else fixing their tach dancing problem with a new ignition coil so I tried that, thought just maybe it would fix idle issues too. It didn't help anything, just made things worse. Now the car shudders when driving and seems to stutter a bit. When I get on it, power seems to be down and it hits 3k rpm like a wall and just stays there, maybe creeping to 3200 rpm or so. Freaked me out so I didn't romp on it to try and force it past 3k rpm lol. ALL I DID WAS REPLACE THE IGNITION COIL, WTF HAPPENED? The gray and black wires are reconnected, and the spark plug like wire on top that connects to the distributor made a resounding *click* when it snapped on. So what's up? HELP!

92g92 02-27-2014 07:06 PM

Bump

driver101 02-27-2014 08:50 PM

Re: Replaced Ignition Coil, Now Car Won't Rev Past 3k RPM, Stutters Slightly

maybe a vac leak,but also may not hurt to check the fuel pressure

92g92 02-28-2014 02:07 PM

All vacuum hoses are good. Fuel filter and ICM I just replaced, runs the same. No problems before replacing the coil. Warranty-ed the coil, the new one has shown no improvement in how the car runs. Original coil was I believe the stock coil. Replaced with duralast coil from autozone, warranty-ed it out with another duralast coil. Runs like poo.

Ransford2987 02-28-2014 04:37 PM

Re: Replaced Ignition Coil, Now Car Won't Rev Past 3k RPM, Stutters Slightly

Maybe your pick-up coil is bad? Your timing might be off? It's hard to say exactly what this is. Are you getting any SES codes?

92g92 02-28-2014 08:39 PM

Mmmm I don't know why the timing would be off. It threw a code 43 one time, but I think this was more due to issue than actually causing the issue. Last night after having driven the car for about 30-45 minutes, I went home and then went back out after about 10 minutes. When I got back in, it ran like a CHAMP. Flawlessly. It was 39 degrees outside and the car was warm. This morning, it ran much better but hesitated and misfired constantly at WOT. More of an occasional shudder when just cruising. I guess it could be a pickup coil, but why would it crap out at the same time I changed the ignition coil?