Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   OBD 1-2 Scanner ??? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/723928-obd-1-2-scanner.html)

whtltng89 09-01-2015 06:20 AM

OBD 1-2 Scanner ???

Ive got an 89 TA and have been considering getting a scanner to help with diagnosis of problems. But someone told me I would never be able to get more than the codes out of OBD1. If so,what would be the point of having one ? lol Anyone know anything on the matter?

ex-x-fire 09-01-2015 06:40 AM

Re: OBD 1-2 Scanner ???

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, you can read data from GM obd1 systems. People get scanner & code readers mixed up. Look for a used tech 1 or snap on brick.

formula_novice 09-01-2015 07:13 AM

A scanner will read codes and other valuable engine metrics (sensor readings, logging, etc). It's a great investment if you plan on modifying your car in the future.

I wouldn't waste my money buying a reader... if you have a check-engine light, places like Autozone will read the code for free.

Myself, I use an older AutoXray scanner... it will scan/read OBDI and also scan/read/write OBDII. I'm sure there are way better scanners out there but I got this one for a good price and it works for me :)

Hope this helps!

fasteddi 09-01-2015 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by whtltng89 (Post 5956998)
Ive got an 89 TA and have been considering getting a scanner to help with diagnosis of problems. But someone told me I would never be able to get more than the codes out of OBD1. If so,what would be the point of having one ? lol Anyone know anything on the matter?

Well you could just buy a aldl cable for about 65 bucks. You could then download tunerpro rt for free and the files also. You could see all the information your ecm sees, codes, tps signal, maf signal, injec pulse width, exc. That being said you would need to have a laptop to actually see the info. The aldl cable has a USB port at one end for ease of use.

Also this would be for obd 1 only

whtltng89 09-08-2015 06:29 PM

I know the difference in a code reader and a scan tool. But ive had a cpl different guys tell me I wouldnt be able to use the scanner on my 89 because it was when the 1st obd systems were made. I also drive a 91 chev 4x4 with 350k on her and work on other people older stuff to. I just thought if it would help with the TPI in my TA it would be $$ well spent. TPI can be a REAL poa at times.

formula_novice 09-08-2015 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by whtltng89 (Post 5959504)
a cpl different guys tell me I wouldnt be able to use the scanner on my 89 because it was when the 1st obd systems were made

1989 does use OBDI but as long as your scanner reads OBDI, you'll be fine. I know... I have an 89 and use a scanner :)