Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Vague rebuild question (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/727783-vague-rebuild-question.html)

SparksAj 12-29-2015 12:20 AM

Vague rebuild question

Before you read on and potentially waste your time, I'm asking about the cost to make my car run nearly as new as possible(somewhat budgeted, but not really).
I'm talking about having heads done(because something has probably been warped for over 2 years), engine rebuilt, potentially transmission as well, and whatever other guts what I'm asking for May entail.

Didn't know what else to title the thread unfortunately, here goes though(I'm fully aware this is probably a very dumb, annoying, and odd question).

Earlier this year I more or less had to abandon my 92 and recently I had to dust her off and use her for a temp daily driver again. It was rough. Very rough. It has sat for almost 9 months(on and off), on top of issues it already hard many more have seemed to pop up.
A few things that stick out that are present and have been for a while:
Timing issue, a big one, can't tell if something's just misaligned did to prior dumb work by myself or something recent, car can't handle idling at all. Tons of surging.
Tough to rev, takes forever to get it, when the car is going it stays at a constant speed and almost feels like cruise control is set on(don't have one and it isn't).
Everytime I changed out spark plugs over the last few years they'd come out fouled and ugly. A few very very ugly.
Seafoaming the car for leak tests spits out tons of smoke from far below the plenum(still haven't ever done a compression test)

Totally irresponsible to let this car sit for so long, I'd love to make it my daily driver again. Unfortunately I don't really have the time/know-how to do all/most of this on my own so it would likely be pushed out to a shop.
It's a v6, I don't have a ton of interest in making it a v8 unless the conversion is somehow cheaper than keeping it the same.

Really anyone who answers this is a saint. Appreciate it all. And fwiw I have attempted to find the price for this and most threads I find are far older and likely don't include everything I may need. I really don't know what exactly all that I'm asking for is. Tranny, heads, engine....etc

Amillionoh7 12-29-2015 12:52 PM

Re: Vague rebuild question

To rebuild from scratch would cost just as much a putting a v8 in it. heck could probably ls swap it for same price as rebuilding the v6 and trans, if you figure 5-600 for shop to pull engine and trans. 1200 in actual machining and parts plus another 750 for trans there's 2500 alone

Amillionoh7 12-29-2015 12:58 PM

if your trying to save the v6 also cheaper to just get a low milage one from the forum for 300 ish

LiquidBlue 12-30-2015 09:52 PM

you can refresh an engine relatively cheap if it is in decent condition.

replace rings, hone cylinders, new bearings, valve stem seals, gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, water pump and clean up the heads and you're pretty much there. there are other things you may want to do while you have it open, just depends on your ultimate goal. A compression test will tell you how bad things are. Oily plugs and white smoke in the morning may be nothing more than rotten valve stem seals

ASE doc 12-31-2015 09:20 AM

How many miles on it? I agree that a V8 swap is a better investment than spending money on the 3.1. If you do a budget DIY rebuild, it's still wise to have at least the heads checked and serviced by a machine shop. The exhaust guides and seats probably need attention, in addition to stem seals, if it's over 100K.

The surging idle is probably just an unmetered air leak or possibly MAF issue. Look for any tears in the boot between the MAF and throttle body. Never discount the value of good engine tune.

Don't know what you mean by lots of smoke way below the plenum, but if you get any kind of flammable liquid on hot engine parts you'll get smoke. When you're getting oil on plugs, always check the PCV system before you blame engine internals. Be sure that the valve is getting good flow, the passages on high mileage motors tend to plug up with carbon and sludge. Check the make up air side and filter also.

SparksAj 01-24-2016 11:49 PM

It's got about 190k miles on it, as far as i know the main parts of it are stock, though i know the smog and water pump, in addition to the fuel injectors, were replaced.
Friend's have told me to do a compression test, i guess that's where i should start.
@Amillionoh7 are you saying 2500 for a budget engine/tranny rebuild? I mean that's definitely worth it to me...
Ive looked for leaks all over with carb spray and can't find anything :( ...except for when i've put seafoam in the vac line and smoke spews out from below the spark plugs..basicaly the middle of the engine area, but there isnt really a way to see EXACTLY where it's coming from.
The only reason i'd be leaning toward staying v6 is that i assume i'd have to buy atleast SOME seperate parts in addition to the engine itself? really just looking to make it a functional car again.

If i was to set aside around 3 grand to most/all of this, do you think it'd fly, without me ever lifting a wrench?

ploegi 01-26-2016 03:01 PM

I don't think 3 grand will cut it paying someone else to do the labor. You could easily drop that on the engine alone.

ASE doc 01-27-2016 01:34 PM

The cost will depend on what it is you want to do. 3K would probably cover a re-ring with new pistons and rod bearings, plus heads serviced on the 3.1. If you are talking about a V8 swap, maybe if you buy a junk yard motor and trans and have a shade tree stuff it in with all used parts, you'll slide in close to 3K. The results may not be all you hope for.

I'm planning a 406 build in the next few years, after completing all the support work hopefully by next year. I expect to spend 5K on the low end just for the motor, and that's reusing my current heads, with a thorough redo of course.

You see, when I spend the money and effort to do an engine, I expect it to perform really well, take whatever abuse I may decide to throw at it and last for a good long time, like the engine I have now. That kind of engine build costs money. Especially when you get up into the higher horsepower numbers and the high revs that kind of power entails. I guess everyone has their own idea of what's good enough. I figure, it takes however long to save 3K, and just a little longer to 5K. The difference in the results you end up with, for me, is worth the wait. Just a thought.