Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   will 882 heads work? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/728252-will-882-heads-work.html)

xaftmx 01-12-2016 02:00 PM

will 882 heads work?

I have seen tons on this so I thought I would just ask. I am pulling my 305 and putting in a 350 +.030, the block and crank have been mic'd cleaned and all deck work done. putting in flatop pistons with a 10.1 compression, 5.7 I connecting rods, with a comp cam Duration 270/270, Lift .470/.470. Edelbrock highrise performer intake, edel performer 600 carb 1" spacer. no emissions at all btw with 3" shorties.

now,, the question. I have 882 heads, I can port them, going to measure them but I believe they are 1.94's, clean them up, new springs and new valves will go in. the question is,,,, is it worth it, or should I find other heads. this is not a daily driver btw but there is a budget. as far as hp goes, Im looking for 450 -500. and yes I will prob at some point drop a 100lb shot on this thing.
so will the heads work? thoughts as this is really my first build.

thanks!:huh:

dmccain 01-12-2016 02:39 PM

Re: will 882 heads work?

You will NEVER get that kind of HP out of those heads. Not even with 100 shot. They are the best of the worst 70s smog heads, They are ok if you are looking for maybe 250HP... not 450HP

jokerZ71 01-12-2016 05:20 PM

Honestly, those heads are not heavy enuff to sink a body & keep it on the bottom of the lake, unless you got more than 1 set.LOL.That's about the best use I can think of for them.
Don't waste any money reworking those heads.It's a complete waste.Use the money & time towards a better set.
Unless the decks have been really cut down alot, you will have nowhere near 10:1.Even with flat tops.If they are untouched, you would have to take approx .072" off to get 10:1 & then have the intake machined to match up.
Actually, none of the parts you list are gonna getyou anywhere near 450 HP.

sofakingdom 01-12-2016 06:01 PM

They are among the worst possible choices that exist for a motor with a stated HP goal.

You're a phone company, got a van that doesn't run and therefore doesn't earn revenue, ya wanna get it back on the road ASAP, 882s are what's there, yeah...

What you're doing, fuhgeddaboudit. Go get a set of 906 or 062 and a cam with a modern design including a longer (not necessarily taller) exh lobe than its int.

FYI, flat-top pistons and 882 heads will NOT give you any 10:1 compression. You'll be LUCKY to crack 8½:1.

There's ALWAYS "a budget". Some are just larger than others. Doesn't make much sense to waste whatever yours is on something that's not gonna get you ANYWHERE CLOSE TO what you say you want, leaving you to THEN go out and do it a second time, except DO IT RIGHT. Kinda makes more sense to DO IT RIGHT the FIRST time, without the waste mistake setting you back, eh???

AlkyIROC 01-12-2016 08:26 PM

You're better off buying some aftermarket heads which are far better out of the box than what it would cost to rework any production head. Aluminum heads are nice and they're not the exotic item that they were 40 years ago so cost is reasonable. You can save even more money by buying an iron aftermarket head like Dart Sportsman.

As mentioned above, 882 heads are not performance heads. They make good boat anchors or work vehicle replacement heads. There are two different 882 castings. One is bad, the other is worse. The worse one is very prone to cracking since the casting is so thin.

five7kid 01-13-2016 06:35 PM

Not to pile on, but you are getting the straight scoop about 882 heads. In addition to boat anchor, they'll make a pretty good door stop. That's about it.

Also have to say the rest of your combo isn't up to a 450-500 HP power level, regardless of the heads. You'll need a lot more cam, a single plane intake, large primary long tube headers, and spin it to 6500-7000 RPMs to get that kind of power out of a 350. And with very good aftermarket heads.

I'll assume your Performer intake is not the Performer RPM. Assuming that's the case, you're limited to 5500 RPMs max before power drops off. Which is about what that cam (I'm guessing a Magnum 270H-10) is good for, although the Performer RPM would be slightly better.

I'm also no fan of Edelbrock carbs (the spacer isn't worth the lost hood space). A Holley 650 double pumper would be much better, IMHO.

A budget move would be to use your 305 heads, have 1.94/1.60" valves installed and better valve springs. Do a do-it-yourself port & polish job. Compression would be a little higher than with 64cc heads. The aforementioned Vortec heads would be better, although I wouldn't go to the junkyard for them when these are available http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...make/chevrolet (probably less than it would cost you to get larger valves and better valve springs installed in your 305 heads). A step up (for twice the money) would be these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet, which would require a Vortec intake, which would give you the opportunity to get a Performer RPM. These would be even better http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dr...make/chevrolet, but you'll start losing low end torque with them, and they'd probably like more cam.

You're looking at maybe 375 GFWHP with your planned shortblock, the Edelbrock heads, RPM intake, Holley carb, and good-flowing exhaust.

novaderrik 01-14-2016 12:58 PM

882 were the heads we used to use because they were everywhere and they were cheap... i sold my last set for $10 to a friend that wanted that casting number for his mud truck for some reason that makes sense only to him...

these days, just get a good set of vortecs and call it good.

cuisinartvette 01-17-2016 08:21 PM

with the oithers
first off have any iron head checked for cracks cant do much of porting on those anyway. Get a new set of heads

xaftmx 02-15-2016 07:43 AM

thanks for all the input, I have the 882's out for sale now for $75, if they are not sold by the spring Ill make a coffee table out of them for the back deck lol lol. going to go with aftermarket, but that will be a separate thread.

mrestrictrplate 02-17-2016 02:34 PM

so many good heads out there cheap now. nothing worse than putting something new together and then the car runs like crap