Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Clutch slip? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/729022-clutch-slip.html)

apie2546 02-03-2016 01:02 PM

Clutch slip?

Hey guys,

Been insanely busy these past few weeks. Today I was on the hwy and I got a call, and I was going under the limit so I jammed it and it went to about 4.5k and it felt like the clutch disengaged. It just revved and when I let off gas it came back to, I heard the driveshaft reengage. Later on I checked fluid and it was about halfway between add and full. Tried to recreate symptoms but it wouldn't do this again. Is this a full tranny slip? It felt like the clutch just stopped. Never really drove a car with a slip so I'm not too sure. Drive good in D all around town. 305 with a 700r4

nater 02-08-2016 01:48 PM

Re: Clutch slip?

ive only had this happen once in my camaro, but im not sure if it was transmission related or if one of the tires broke lose (it was raining and my tires were almost bald) never happened since. but i did have a f**d explorer that would do this. i never got it opened up to see what caused it (im in college no place to do it). it would act exactly how you described every time i got into the throttle. eventual it got worse and worse. started doing it with as little throttle as cruse control and then one day i was backing out of a parking spot and hit a patch of ice the tires spun a little and when the caught on dry pavement i heard a clunk then it would rev like that and allow very little power to the wheels. i shifted into the other shift positions and it was fine just not in the drive position. a couple weeks later i was driving back to campus and ended up with just reverse and weak first by the time i made it back. first check your fluid if it smells burnt or is brown/black, get it to a transmission shop, also make sure your fluid is in the right spot on the stick with the engine warmed up and running. also you might try posting this in the transmission board. hope you have better luck with the TA than i do with f*rds.

apie2546 02-08-2016 02:04 PM

Re: Clutch slip?

Originally Posted by nater (Post 6004466)
ive only had this happen once in my camaro, but im not sure if it was transmission related or if one of the tires broke lose (it was raining and my tires were almost bald) never happened since. but i did have a f**d explorer that would do this. i never got it opened up to see what caused it (im in college no place to do it). it would act exactly how you described every time i got into the throttle. eventual it got worse and worse. started doing it with as little throttle as cruse control and then one day i was backing out of a parking spot and hit a patch of ice the tires spun a little and when the caught on dry pavement i heard a clunk then it would rev like that and allow very little power to the wheels. i shifted into the other shift positions and it was fine just not in the drive position. a couple weeks later i was driving back to campus and ended up with just reverse and weak first by the time i made it back. first check your fluid if it smells burnt or is brown/black, get it to a transmission shop, also make sure your fluid is in the right spot on the stick with the engine warmed up and running. also you might try posting this in the transmission board. hope you have better luck with the TA than i do with f*rds.

Thanks for the response! Luckily it hasn't happened again. I'll be on the lookout. The fluid smelled good and it shifts fine so hopefully lol