Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Low oil preasure (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/729667-low-oil-preasure.html)

Mattkovitch 02-21-2016 09:23 PM

Low oil preasure

My oil pressure has been gradually going down. It idles just above the red and sits at about a little more than 15 most of the time but doesn't go much higher. Once I get past 1500 rpms the engine starts ticking. Any help is appreciated, really not wanting to have to dump money into rebuilding a 305.

Update: The oil pressure is at almost 30 when i start it up and the ticking was gone, but then gradually over like 10-15 minutes of driving drops to about 15 and the ticking came back. Higher rpms seem like they dont change it much at all.

bjankuski 02-22-2016 12:06 PM

Re: Low oil preasure

Does not sound good, what is the ticking noise? Lifters or a rod knock? Either way I suspect you will need a rebuild.

TTOP350 02-22-2016 12:27 PM

Last oil change? Oil full? what brand of oil filter?

dmccain 02-22-2016 12:57 PM

Try some 20w50 if its wore out this heavy oil may quiet it down some but you probably looking to rebuild or replace soon im afraid.

Camaro86IrocZ 02-22-2016 01:04 PM

Add a bottle of STP oil treatment - http://www.walmart.com/ip/STP-Oil-Tr...-15oz/16817398

Adds extra zddp needed for pre '87 flat tappet cams. Fingers Crossed.. and a Pray..

Mattkovitch 02-22-2016 04:00 PM

Not sure what the ticking is. It's not loud or harsh, but just quietly there. And about the oil change that's the first thing I need to do, as I just bough the car about a month ago and haven't got it changed and Idk when they last did it. Really hoping I can fix it with some better oil or a new filter. If I do need a rebuild, how much does that usually cost? Any ideas?
Now that I think about it probably lifters causing the ticking.

someone972 02-22-2016 04:13 PM

I had a low-oil pressure issue on my engine where three of the four oil pump bolts had worked their way out. Perhaps not the source of your problem, but something to consider.

AlkyIROC 02-22-2016 05:53 PM

Pressure is a resistance to flow. When the engine is cold, flow is reduced and you see pressure. As the oil gets hot, viscosity drops and anywhere it can leak out will be easier. The chances of the oil pump being bad is very slim. That means you'll probably need engine work. The ticking is probably a lack of oil to the lifters and rockers.

Main bearings worn will cause an oil leak but will not cause noise until a bearing seizes onto the crankshaft.

Rod bearings wearing will generally cause a noise when they start to fail but will also make noise hot and cold.

Camshaft bearings can spin in the block and will wear causing a hot oil leak that won't show when the oil is cold. They will also not create a noise.

Buy a new oil filter to replace the one on the car. Don't worry about an oil change yet. Take the old filter and cut it open any way you can. Even a hacksaw can be used. Just cut the top off. Pull out the filter material and rip a chunk of it out. Squeeze that piece in a vise to get all the oil out of it then open it up to look inside. If there's lots of metal in the material, you have bearings going. All the temporary help such as thicker oil won't fix an engine in need of a rebuild.

nhgator 02-22-2016 07:57 PM

"All the temporary help such as thicker oil won't fix an engine in need of a rebuild."

There isn't much in a can that is a long term fix for low oil pressure or a tick..

Mattkovitch 02-22-2016 08:35 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll try looking for metal chips in the oil. If I do need a rebuild, does anyone have a ballpark figure of what that will cost?

sofakingdom 02-22-2016 09:07 PM

does anyone have a ballpark figure of what that will cost?
More than a 305 is worth.

IOW, if you get to that point, DON'T do it to your existing block. Put a "bore kit" in it. And a good set of heads. Those crappy "swirlies" aren't worth the time of day either, any more than a 305 is.

AlkyIROC 02-23-2016 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mattkovitch (Post 6009247)
If I do need a rebuild, does anyone have a ballpark figure of what that will cost?

More than the cost to buy a stock replacement engine.

Mattkovitch 02-23-2016 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 6009262)
More than a 305 is worth.

IOW, if you get to that point, DON'T do it to your existing block. Put a "bore kit" in it. And a good set of heads. Those crappy "swirlies" aren't worth the time of day either, any more than a 305 is.

Thats what i thought. if I need a rebuild, then I'm just gonna run it till its dead while i save and then swap a 350 into it. How hard is it to find a good running junkyard 350 anymore? Or is there a better place to get one?

sofakingdom 02-23-2016 04:56 PM

96-2000 ones (aka Vortec) are pretty plentiful and not too $$$.

Mattkovitch 02-23-2016 09:08 PM

Augh well I guess I'm engine swapping this summer. Here's another question, what can I do to make this motor last as long as possible? Would thicker oil and an oil additive help? And how long do you think it'll last?

86LG4Bird 02-24-2016 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=Mattkovitch;6009672]...Would thicker oil and an oil additive help? ...QUOTE]
No and No.

dmccain 02-24-2016 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC (Post 6009377)
More than the cost to buy a stock replacement engine.

:thanks:

Mattkovitch 02-24-2016 10:03 AM

Any ideas on how to make the engine last as long as possible, while I get some money together for a 350 swap

86LG4Bird 02-24-2016 11:04 AM

Don't let it lug at low rpm. Raise the idle speed. Don't rev it over 3000.

Camaro86IrocZ 02-24-2016 03:03 PM

Could also be an exhaust leak, injector click noise, bad oil pressure switch making the gauge read off.. So hard to tell thru internet posts,, Make a vid so these guys can hear it for a better diagnosis..

Mattkovitch 02-25-2016 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro86IrocZ (Post 6009909)
Could also be an exhaust leak, injector click noise, bad oil pressure switch making the gauge read off.. So hard to tell thru internet posts,, Make a vid so these guys can hear it for a better diagnosis..

I was hoping you're right, but I don't see it being probable as the ticking sound development right after the Gage started reading low oil pressures.

Formula 305 02-25-2016 03:15 PM

Does it have the proper oil level? It was asked earlier in the thread but I didn't see an answer.