Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   oil leak out rear of pan (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/738510-oil-leak-out-rear.html)

billybob6110 11-01-2016 10:42 AM

oil leak out rear of pan

i replaced the oil pan gasket cause it was leaking at higher rpm (spraying). I put a new gasket on and its still leaking right where the rear of pan meets the block. if I lay under car and person revs up I can see it coming out the rear gasket. can I pack some rtv around it or do I need a new pan?

skinny z 11-01-2016 12:09 PM

Re: oil leak out rear of pan

I doubt that any amount of sealant will resolve the issue.
There's a considerable amount of crankcase pressure developed especially under high RPM conditions. A proper seal is needed to prevent leaks.
For what it's worth, and depending on the condition of the oil pan you have now, you might have luck with a new gasket and some RTV applied in the corners where the block meets the rear cap.
Are you using a one-piece gasket?
Is your PCV system operating as it should?

billybob6110 11-01-2016 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by skinny z (Post 6089169)
I doubt that any amount of sealant will resolve the issue.
There's a considerable amount of crankcase pressure developed especially under high RPM conditions. A proper seal is needed to prevent leaks.
For what it's worth, and depending on the condition of the oil pan you have now, you might have luck with a new gasket and some RTV applied in the corners where the block meets the rear cap.
Are you using a one-piece gasket?
Is your PCV system operating as it should?

im using felpro cork gasket. I used rtv on ends. pcv works properly also. it just comes out the rounded part of the rear on the pan. its a summit steel cast pan, maybe 2 years old.

midias 11-01-2016 02:29 PM

I would try one of the blue one piece felpro gaskets. Are you sure it is the oil pan not rear main?

scoflaw 11-01-2016 04:43 PM

Aftermarket pans are nothing but trouble. Try to find a gm pan

billybob6110 11-01-2016 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by midias (Post 6089191)
I would try one of the blue one piece felpro gaskets. Are you sure it is the oil pan not rear main?

I can see it actually coming out of the rear of oil pan.

billybob6110 11-01-2016 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by billybob6110 (Post 6089229)
I can see it actually coming out of the rear of oil pan.

the oil pan is over 6 years old, if look at the rear the area where the rubber rear seal goes looks a little bentish. so I just ordered a new pan and 1 piece gasket. how would I tell if it was rear main?

W.E.G. 11-01-2016 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by billybob6110 (Post 6089231)
how would I tell if it was rear main?

Usually by the odometer or the calendar.

If its more than 70,000, or 7 years on an 80's vintage Chevy motor, the chances that the RMS isn't leaking at least some, are slim and none.

sofakingdom 11-01-2016 06:52 PM

Could also be, the crack where the main bearing cap meets the block.

There's pressurized oil where the passage goes through the cap up into the block.