Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   What 1.6 rockers fit under stock valve covers (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/743882-what-1-6-rockers.html)

bk2life 05-18-2017 09:38 AM

What 1.6 rockers fit under stock valve covers

after market heads, guide plates, center bolt, want to keep original valve covers, need FULL ROLLER rockers to fit under them.

any help appreciated.

RedLeader289 05-18-2017 10:12 AM

Re: What 1.6 rockers fit under stock valve covers

You can get 1.5 rollers.

five7kid 05-18-2017 10:12 AM

1.6 stamped steel are available, both with and without roller tips.

How much coin are you willing to drop? Without knowing your combo, they might be overkill, but the Comp Ultra Pro Magnums are pretty sweet.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...make/chevrolet

daferris 05-18-2017 11:28 AM

I have a set of narrow body 1.6 aluminum roller rockers on mine 113 Vette heads and stock Camaro center bolt covers. Think they were pro form or scorpion brand but not sure

battman 05-18-2017 11:45 AM

yes, aluminum ones will require trimming the cross brace on one side..simple mod to keep factory valve covers with 1.6RR

bk2life 05-18-2017 01:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, keep’em comin
:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

bk2life 05-18-2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by battman (Post 6137433)
yes, aluminum ones will require trimming the cross brace on one side..simple mod to keep factory valve covers with 1.6RR

does this work with 'all' 1.6 rockers? or

bk2life 05-18-2017 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid (Post 6137402)
1.6 stamped steel are available, both with and without roller tips.

How much coin are you willing to drop? Without knowing your combo, they might be overkill, but the Comp Ultra Pro Magnums are pretty sweet.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...make/chevrolet

Is it known if these fit under the stock covers??

five7kid 05-18-2017 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by bk2life (Post 6137448)
Is it known if these fit under the stock covers??

Call up Comp and ask them.

I had them on a 396 with stock covers, even with the polylocks it wasn't a problem. Can't say for sure on a small block, but should be similar.

The ones I linked are 1.6, 7/16" stud, non-self-aligning. Just posted to show what they look like. You might need a different p/n.

Jorlain 05-18-2017 02:27 PM

I know with a set of scorpion 1.6RR, I ended up having to get tall valve covers. I even had to clearance those. There's not much space left in between them.

John in RI 05-18-2017 07:02 PM

Trial and error,.... some rockers fit under most covers, some almost always hit, many can be used by cutting some of the internal supports. Just be sure to have valve cover gaskets in place on the heads when trial fitting covers over your rockers.

:driving:

AlkyIROC 05-18-2017 07:25 PM

The ratio means nothing for the fit. The difference between a 1.5 and a 1.6 rocker is that the pushrod location is different in relation to the rocker stud on the 1.6 rockers. This means the pushrod hole through the head needs enough room to allow the pushrod relocation. Pretty well all aftermarket heads have enough clearance.

Fitment problems come from the rocker style itself. Aluminum rockers are larger to compensate for the weaker strength of the aluminum body. These larger rocker may or may not fit depending on who makes them. Inexpensive offshore brands are never recommended. I had a set of Crane Gold and Crane Energizer rockers. Side by side they looked identical except for color. The Gold rockers were for 7/16" studs while the Energizers were still the stock 3/8" stud. When I broke a gold one, I figured I could pop out the 7/16" trunnion and put it in the Energizer rocker. It would have fit but the trunnion design was completely different. The gold rocker had a much beefier trunnion and you could only see the difference once it was removed from the rocker. Now, buy an inexpensive offshore brand. Looks good in the box or installed on the heads but just how strong and durable is it? Stick with good brand name rockers such as Comp Cams, Crane, Crower etc. I wouldn't put something like a Proform rocker on a street car even if they were free.

As mentioned above, go with the Pro Magnum rockers. Stainless steel design means they have a smaller body than an aluminum rocker and will easily fit under a stock valve cover and they are much stronger. I ran Pro Magnums for many years before switching to shaft rockers. My shaft rockers are made by T&D. Only $1500 for the complete set. I liked the T&D design better than Jesel.

bk2life 05-18-2017 09:52 PM

....nearly 30 years of this engine combo, im sure someone knows what fits and what doesn't.
I really don't want to reinvent the wheel here.

sofakingdom 05-19-2017 07:56 AM

THE ONLY ones I know of that have EVER been made that fit, are the ones GM had Crane make for them as part of the "HOT cam" kit. They were aluminum ( which I would NOT under any circumstances run on the street, not those or ANY OTHER aluminum ones), but narrow enough in the trunnion area to fit down between the valve cover bolt "tube" things. Like Alky says they were SO narrow that they were even more fragile than usual for mis-applied aluminum rockers.

The problem isn't "someone knows", "30 years", "reinvent", or any of that. As Alky also points out, it's not "1.6" either. It's something so simple you don't even need a measuring tape to see it. Namely, the space BETWEEN the rockers that the bolt "feature" has to fit down into.

SOME VCs, you can just take a big pair of channellocks or something, and crush the tube things flat. SOME have webbing that you might have to cut some of it out. Another solution to the trunnion width problem is "adapters" to use perimeter-bolt VCs instead of center-bolt.

The problem of the height of the Polylocks can be avoided by simply using regular grade 8 nuts from the parts store and a jam nut on top of that.

Fast355 05-19-2017 09:37 AM

I have run the Crane version of the LT4 rockers on my Express van for 60K on the street with 3 different cams and 2 different heads. One combination had 0.565" lift on the exhaust and over 400 lbs open spring pressure, 150 lbs seat. I have not had an issue with them. I have also used a set of CAT 1.6s from Ebay on the street. Finally I used yet another Jegs brand 1.6 on a different engine. 3 years later that engine still runs great with no rocker issues. All 3 fit under stock centerbolt valve covers.

bk2life 06-27-2017 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 6137642)
SOME VCs, you can just take a big pair of channellocks or something, and crush the tube things flat. SOME have webbing that you might have to cut some of it out...

Thank you for that info

Originally Posted by Fast355 (Post 6137663)
I have run the Crane version of the LT4 rockers on my Express van for 60K on the street with 3 different cams and 2 different heads. One combination had 0.565" lift on the exhaust and over 400 lbs open spring pressure, 150 lbs seat. I have not had an issue with them. I have also used a set of CAT 1.6s from Ebay on the street. Finally I used yet another Jegs brand 1.6 on a different engine. 3 years later that engine still runs great with no rocker issues. All 3 fit under stock centerbolt valve covers.

outstanding! thank you

3rdgenmaro 06-27-2017 02:25 PM

Running the scorpion narrow body rockers on my Camaro under stock valve covers.

Jimmy90z 06-30-2017 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bk2life (Post 6137393)
after market heads, guide plates, center bolt, want to keep original valve covers, need FULL ROLLER rockers to fit under them.

any help appreciated.

they have to be self alligning rockers. If i recall mine were 7/16 self alligning rollers

Jimmy90z 06-30-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bk2life (Post 6148596)
Thank you for that info

outstanding! thank you

no, you cant go over .470 or .480 on the lift without changing out the stock springs!

The stock cam is about a .430 lift or so and the 1.6 rockers are about a 0.30 increase FYI. Also, use the up and down method on the pushrods while tightening down and use the 1/2 extra turn method to final tighten. Have a good day.

bk2life 06-30-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy90z (Post 6149283)
they have to be self alligning ....

Originally Posted by Jimmy90z (Post 6149286)
no, you cant go over .470 .....

Very first post, you even copied it, i have after market heads.

skinny z 06-30-2017 02:47 PM

Comp Pro Magnums 1.6 under stock steel centre bolt covers. The cross brace required trimming on one side (as was posted earlier).
Made short work of the mod with a die-grinder.

bk2life 07-01-2017 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by skinny z (Post 6149324)
Comp Pro Magnums 1.6 ....

thanks skinny for the info, that is probably what im going to be using..