Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Fuel Pressure Gauge Needle Shaking (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/754395-fuel-pressure-gauge-needle.html)

LB87FORMULA 07-05-2018 09:41 AM

Fuel Pressure Gauge Needle Shaking

Recently I've had some hard starting issues. I bought a new fuel pressure gauge and the needled shaking almost =/- 10 psi. I never noticed this before. I took apart the aeromotive pressure regulator and the diaphragm seems fine.
I am about to drop the tank and replace the pump.
Any thoughts?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MU3ZwhZ1UKzJFmRZ6

Drew 07-05-2018 09:57 AM

Re: Fuel Pressure Gauge Needle Shaking

Try the gauge on other cars? Did you remove the pulse dampener? -thoughts-

LB87FORMULA 07-05-2018 10:28 AM

I don't have another car to try the gauge. My original gauge showed the same readings, but the shraeder connection broke while testing. I bought a new gauge and the readings are the same. Also, I did replace the fuel filter?
Are you referring to the pulse damper next to the fuel pump? The car still had the original pump assembly.

cardo0 07-06-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by LB87FORMULA (Post 6233957)
I don't have another car to try the gauge. My original gauge showed the same readings, but the shraeder connection broke while testing. I bought a new gauge and the readings are the same. Also, I did replace the fuel filter?
Are you referring to the pulse damper next to the fuel pump? The car still had the original pump assembly.

Are your pressure gauges small "peanut" sized gauge vendors sell and sometimes giveaway for the fuel line? Those are junk gauges. The Harbor Freight fuel pressure gauges are junk to. The HF gauge I had to return because it would stick right in the middle of it's range.

Get a good quality gauge before you buy any parts. Most auto parts stores lone them out.

LB87FORMULA 07-06-2018 07:20 PM

Well the pressure gauge I use is made by Actron. About 10 years ago I worked for Actron/SPX in Cleveland as a manufacturing engineer. Left the company just before they moved most of their manufacturing to China. Then I worked for GE where I set up a medical device service line in China.
Getting back to reality, I think the gauge is correct because I also had hard starting, Code 54 on EBL and lean WB readings. However, I never saw the gauge shake like that.
I bit the bullet, dropped the exhaust, rear end and fuel tank the last 2 days. I put in the new fuel pump and the pressure rose quickly. Just need to put it back together.
Thanks for the all the inputs. I really hope the damper is ok, since the tanks is already installed.

LB87FORMULA 07-08-2018 07:55 AM

Update - Replaced the fuel pump and pressure steady with no shaking.

GTA88 07-08-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by LB87FORMULA (Post 6234440)
Update - Replaced the fuel pump and pressure steady with no shaking.

LB87,

Thanks for that update. My fuel gauge is shaking sometimes too, bouncing around, within a ten psi range, like 21 to 31, fluttering, actually. More evidence my fuel pump is going bad.

LB87FORMULA 07-08-2018 05:46 PM

GTA88,
Changing the pump made a huge difference. I've been programming with the efi and I have to change all the VE maps. Engine runs smoother and faster. Are you able to see the video link I included in the first post? If so I will post a video with the new fuel pressure.

GTA88 07-10-2018 08:02 AM

LB87,

No, I can't play the video, but thanks anyway.

Good to hear that the fuel pump improved things! I'm going to have mine replaced soon.