Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Engine stumbling or missing (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/756934-engine-stumbling-missing.html)

305TBI 10-23-2018 02:40 PM

Engine stumbling or missing

I am the original owner of a 1991 firebird 305 TBI with a SN-92 Paxton. The supercharger was recently rebuilt by Paradise Wheels.
While driving the car at any steady cruising speed (30 mph to 70 mph) there is a random miss or stumble every few seconds.
I just rebuilt the TBI completely.
The idle is reasonable.
The car accelerates very good with no hesitation.
No trouble codes found with a scan tool.
Any ideas what to look for?

W.E.G. 10-23-2018 03:04 PM

Re: Engine stumbling or missing

What scan tool are you using?

Your best chance of diagnosing drivability issues is to view the same thing the ECU is seeing at the time the event occurs.

GeneralDisorder 10-23-2018 03:25 PM

You have a lean cruise situation most likely. Have to check out the BLM's, etc. Could be a bad O2 sensor. The narrow band systems only use the O2 for idle and cruise. Throw a calibrated wideband up the tailpipe and check the idle/cuise O2 readings against the wideband. If there's more than half a point of AFR difference between the two under idle or cruise then you most likely have a bad sensor.

GD

305TBI 10-24-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 6258637)
What scan tool are you using?

Your best chance of diagnosing drivability issues is to view the same thing the ECU is seeing at the time the event occurs.

AutoXray XP240. It plugs into the OBD1/2 connector and scans the same data that the ECU sees.
I use the capture mode to store the data and then review the data later.
I thought all scan tools did this.

305TBI 10-24-2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6258643)
You have a lean cruise situation most likely. Have to check out the BLM's, etc. Could be a bad O2 sensor. The narrow band systems only use the O2 for idle and cruise. Throw a calibrated wideband up the tailpipe and check the idle/cuise O2 readings against the wideband. If there's more than half a point of AFR difference between the two under idle or cruise then you most likely have a bad sensor.

GD

That could be my problem.
Thanks for the advice.

305TBI 10-24-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 305TBI (Post 6258778)
That could be my problem.
Thanks for the advice.

By the way, the Block Learn is a stable 128 and the Integrator is a stable 127.

GeneralDisorder 10-24-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 305TBI (Post 6258780)
By the way, the Block Learn is a stable 128 and the Integrator is a stable 127.

Is that in closed loop? At idle or cruise or both?

GD

305TBI 10-24-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6258787)
Is that in closed loop? At idle or cruise or both?

GD

That is closed loop. I have not recorded data at idle; the car idles ok. I have recorded data 4 different times .. One at a steady constant 40mph, then 50mph, then 60mph and 70mph. All scan tool data is similar. The rich/lean data flips as expected, The oxygen sensor goes well beyond the mid point and below the mid point.

GeneralDisorder 10-24-2018 01:58 PM

When was the last full tune up?

305TBI 10-25-2018 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6258805)
When was the last full tune up?

I take care of my car on the inside and out on a regular basis. I purchased it on 7-16-1990 (it is a 1991 model). However, I don't change the spark plugs as often as I would like. The car is modified and changing the plugs is a REAL BEAR.
I might add that today I was driving my car and I got a code 13, oxygen sensor fault.
The block learn and integrator both were at 131 and the oxygen sensor read between 330 and 409.
I will have to get the proper sensor and replace the original one (it is 28 years old).
I will keep you and the board posted.
Thanks to all who have helped and are interested in this post.

305TBI 11-10-2018 01:17 PM

Update -
I replaced the oxygen sensor (it was faulty) and I adjusted the "minimum air" hoping that this might correct the engine missing problem, but that had no effect. As I mentioned in an earlier post the car runs great under acceleration and deceleration, but at constant steady speed the missing is quite noticeable. I pulled the number 3 spark plug and found it to be carbon fouled. The remaining plugs I suspect are in the same condition. I think that the plugs have maybe 10,000 miles on them. If I have the plugs replaced I will have to have it serviced because I am too old to do that now (81 years). Still no trouble codes set. Any additional help would be very much appreciated.

GeneralDisorder 11-10-2018 04:28 PM

Sounds like maybe it's ready for an ignition tune up or at least clean and gap the plugs. It's not unusual to need this more frequently on modified forced induction engines.

Is it wet, oily carbon, or dry powdery carbon on the plugs?

GD

305TBI 11-11-2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6261672)
Sounds like maybe it's ready for an ignition tune up or at least clean and gap the plugs. It's not unusual to need this more frequently on modified forced induction engines.

GD

Thanks GD.
It's dry.
I also replaced the distributor cap. The spring loaded center pin inside was not functioning smoothly. I thought that was the problem, but not the case.
I will have the plugs replaced.

305TBI 12-05-2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6261672)

GD

Problem Solved-
I had the spark plugs replaced and discovered that the #5 plug had a particle shorting the electrodes.

Thanks for all your help and interest.
305TBI

GeneralDisorder 12-06-2018 10:58 AM

Excellent! Thank you for the resolution.