Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Starting issue on a formula 350 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/759462-starting-issue-formula-350-a.html)

Zrambot 03-06-2019 09:10 AM

Starting issue on a formula 350

I recently picked up a 1989 Firebird Formula 350. After it was sitting for ten years and got it sort of runing. It has the issue of not starting. It will start if I use starting fluid in the intake and will stay running and have good power. I checked the fuel pump and I’m getting good pressure. But before I tare into the intake to replace injectors I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what it could be? I don’t think it’s the IAC cause it stays at good idle. But let me know what you think.

Tuned Performance 03-06-2019 11:45 AM

Re: Starting issue on a formula 350

If it sat that long you should go through the entire fuel system.

Zrambot 03-06-2019 11:59 AM

So replace the fuel system? Pump, injectors, regulator etc. it has a new pump and fresh gas

Tuned Performance 03-06-2019 12:07 PM

I didn’t know it had a new pump, injectors and regulator should fix your starting issue. Look at southbay fuel injectors.

Zrambot 03-06-2019 12:58 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I was thinking that would be the case. I knew to get rid of the old gas but i didn’t think about the varnish issue. Thanks a lot.

Tuned Performance 03-06-2019 01:06 PM

I had to deal with this on a c4 that sat for 17 years. I bet the injector filter baskets are gummed up.

Zrambot 03-06-2019 01:15 PM

Yeah that didn’t even cross my mind. I looked at South Bay and will probably get the 22lb bosh that should be plenty for a stock motor. Or should I get something else

Tuned Performance 03-06-2019 01:20 PM

Stock motor 22#hr is what you need. Anything else requires ecm tuning.
Some have had good luck with the Bosch 3s as a drop in replacement but you might run lean without tuning. The opposite with the Delphi’s orhers say the fuel trim is spot on so I really don’t know which one to suggest.

Zrambot 03-06-2019 01:27 PM

If needs tuning later it’s ok. I just trying to get thing thing to start. It only has like 89,000 miles on it and ran before it was stored so I have hope I’m not going to have to do a whole rebuild just yet

southbay08 03-06-2019 02:10 PM

It's still a mystery as to why some people experience a lean condition with the Bosch lll's. yet the majority of people over the past 12 years love them.

Tuned Performance 03-06-2019 02:13 PM

Anything is better than your stock injectors if they have a grey body.
These are called multecs and there could tend to short.

southbay08 03-06-2019 02:16 PM

That's the understatement !

Aviator857 03-06-2019 03:03 PM

Does your fuel pump prime when you go from key off to run (not crank) you should be able to hear it.
-- If No, check to see if you are getting the command at the fuel pump relay etc. At one point a few years ago I had an issue where the ecu wasn't getting full voltage, and the relay was only getting about 9-10 volts on the engage wire (12 on the hot wire) So when you started to crank the car it would drop even lower and the fuel pump wouldn't run. But if you used starter fluid or gas in the intake to crank it, the oil pressure switch backup circuit would drive the fuel pump, but the relay was only getting 9-10 volts and not enough for it to trip the relay on. That turned out to be the little wiring block beside the battery that has a few fuse-able link wires running off it (I came very close to replacing the ECU on that one).
-- If Yes, more than likely your injectors are shot and sticking with old gas, they tend to still run ok once you get the car running but they will not spray correctly on the start cycle. I've had that issue also. New gas will not fix it, nor will injector cleaner in the tank. I would replace them, along with the other items you listed if you have the budget and intend on driving it without fear of it breaking down.

Its amazing when you have owned a car for 23 years how you have experience almost everything it can throw at you -- though now I have an LS1 so I have all new issues to learn :)