Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   leak from t5 drain plug and oil pan gasket advice needed (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/761453-leak-t5-drain-plug.html)

baker440ex 05-18-2019 04:19 PM

leak from t5 drain plug and oil pan gasket advice needed

Hey guys, my t5 drain plug weeps transmission fluid. I was able to tighten the plug a hair more, but it was already really tight. I have read to not use teflon tape. Is there anything I can use on this plug that will help/not get eaten by the transmission fluid?

Also I did a one piece oil pan gasket -- i think two years ago. It has developed a weep in the front where it meets the timing cover (the belly of the cover, not the corners) it is not enough to drip on the floor but nonetheless...
My thoughts were to see if I could tighten up the bolts a little more - up front on the pan and also the timing cover bottom bolts.... But I don't wanna "tear" the rtv that does seem to be working around where the edges meet. Or should I leave it alone and keep an eye on the oil level (already do this - seems to never go down. And I do change the oil often.) Don't wanna make it worse that's for sure. Really want to buy one more season and then probably pull the motor over the winter.

Thoughts?

Tremo 05-18-2019 05:21 PM

Re: leak from t5 drain plug and oil pan gasket advice needed

Did you coat the threads of the plug with anti seize compound?

baker440ex 05-18-2019 05:28 PM

Tremo I did not. Will anti seize help seal the threads? I see a number of different thread sealers on the shelf at the parts store... Not sure what to use.

sofakingdom 05-18-2019 05:39 PM

Use Teflon tape. About 5 - 6 full wraps should do it. Be careful that the tape doesn't go over the threads and get onto the flat part of the plug, because if it does, fragments can get cut off and lodge somewhere inside the trans. Keep it on the threads ONLY. Don't overtighten it, about 15 ft-lbs (about what you'd put on a valve cover screw) is ENTIRELY enough.

I'd suggest leaving the oil pan alone. Given that that's the only problem you have with it, anything you can do is likely to just make it worse. Maybe there, maybe somewhere else, maybe abuncha places. Leave it alone. A trip to the quarter car wash every few months, with a can of engine degreaser (diesel fuel in a spray can) might be your best option.

baker440ex 05-18-2019 05:45 PM

Thanks sofakingdom. I have it on jackstands regularly and just hit all the spots with brake cleaner. The car is super low. Ill leave the oil pan alone till i pull the motor.

I wanted to stay away from teflon tape but if that is the general consensus then that is what i will do. Doesnt seem to me like it would jive with oil but i guess i have nothing to back that up.

sofakingdom 05-18-2019 06:04 PM

My car is a 83; I've been doing it like that since I got it in 85. Traded in a 79 Z28 4-spd for it. Did that one the same way. And the 69 Chevelle SS396 4-spd before that, and the 60 Chevy before that (among others), once Teflon tape had been invented. Yeah, I've been around doing this since they came out with dirt.

Use engine degreaser (diesel fuel in a spray can) and the quarter car wash, NOT brake cleaner. Brake cleaner has too many unintended consequences. Like, it EATS paint and sealer.

baker440ex 05-18-2019 06:10 PM

Ok thanks for the advice sofakingdom i will use the tape