Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   For those that take your car to a mechanic for repairs (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/777920-those-take-your-car.html)

BytePaul 09-05-2021 04:38 PM

For those that take your car to a mechanic for repairs

For those of you who take your car to a mechanic, is your mechanic from a garage that deals with older cars (specialty garage) or do you take it to a garage that you take your modern cars to? Just curious. I've done all I want to do on my car and now I want a professional to work on it.

nhgator 09-05-2021 05:23 PM

Re: For those that take your car to a mechanic for repairs

The only one besides me who works on my car,inspections tire stuff etc. is someone I have known since I was in grade school.

A good long time friend,even though a Mopar freak,it's good to trust someone.

NoEmissions84TA 09-05-2021 07:43 PM

You need to drive your car to the nursing home because that is where you will find the former mechanics that used to work on these cars.
This was not meant to be a wise crack - it's the reality of owning a 30+ year old vehicle.

QwkTrip 09-05-2021 08:37 PM

I think it's mostly networking and finding somebody that has the capabilities. For example, I have an engineer co-worker that makes a little money on the side fixing old cars for other co-workers that are too cheap to drive something decent, but have no skills of their own.

JamesC 09-06-2021 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6440230)
I think it's mostly networking and finding somebody that has the capabilities.

Yep. A buddy recommended a shop when I first moved to town. The shop works on a wide range of cars—from an exotic or two to oldies to everything in between. They impressed me from the first when I was told if they didn't finish the work that day they'd keep the IROC inside. Moreover, they call me down sometimes to show me the issue. Most recently it was to look at a clutch replacement (when you reach your seventh decade you realize your limitations, lol). Anyway, they wanted me to see the leak, not from the rear main seal, but the transmission's input shaft seal. Also, they don't blink at my ordering the aftermarket parts that I want them to install. I appreciate that kind of service. And I love their reassurance: "Don't worry, James, we'll take our time with it."

Bottom line: Ask the shop boys a lot of questions and if they're unwilling to spend a few minutes with you, perhaps another shop would be preferable.

JamesC

BytePaul 09-06-2021 12:05 PM

Got it everyone. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm just looking for someone to do a final inspection and correct a few issues that I need help with.
@NoEmissions84TA - I don't think you have to be old to be good at working on old cars. ;)

NoEmissions84TA 09-08-2021 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by BytePaul (Post 6440276)
@NoEmissions84TA - I don't think you have to be old to be good at working on old cars. ;)

That's not what I meant. And yes, young(er) people that can appreciate these cars can (and do) some great work.

Shinobi'sZ 09-08-2021 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by nhgator (Post 6440209)
The only one besides me who works on my car,inspections tire stuff etc. is someone I have known since I was in grade school.

A good long time friend,even though a Mopar freak,it's good to trust someone.

I do my own work normally. I built my 1000hp Twin Turbo C5Z, 66' Mustang, installed bigger blower on my C7Z06, fixed my boat, etc. and with the help from experienced people on forums (like this one) it makes things a whole lot easier. But I'm in a position where it is more about my personal time now, which I'm too busy with my work and I can pay somebody else to do it. But I won't take my vehicle to any shop. When it came time to needing help with my Thirdgen I made sure I found a mechanic (recommended shop from this board) who had a Thirdgen as a personal car and modified it. When I went to his shop he had a bunch of different cars, from older BMW/Mercedes, 1st Gen Bronco, 1100hp Viper, and just a bunch of street rods of different makes. The shop was clean and the cars were all unique. I knew then I had found the right place to help me out when I need a place. The only problem is that everybody else knows about him too lol and he doesn't advertise. So that tells you something right there. It's kind of like if you go into a Mexican food restaurant and find a bunch of non hispanic people eating there, the best Mexican food places are the hole in the wall places where nobody speaks english and the food is fantastic.