Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Four Seasons A/C compressors (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/97333-four-seasons-c-compressors.html)

rocky383 04-03-2002 11:31 PM

Four Seasons A/C compressors

Has anyone here ever bought a good Four Seasons reman compressor? I have heard that they suck (after I bought one, of course). If they really do suck, I'm taking it back.

:hail:IROC-Z

04-04-2002 01:23 AM

Well, any reman compressor sucks really. Place I worked at we sold 4 squeezins AC compressors, they were mix+match as far as reliability goes. I would say its not worse than any other reman compressor. They are actually a fairly large company, part of the Standard Ignition parts group, very large supplier. Better than A-1 Cardone (junk) or any small operation for sure.

I personally recommend new when people are talking about AC compressors, its not something to skimp on.

rocky383 04-04-2002 07:12 AM

Thanks. I guess I'll just give it a shot and if it messes up, I'll go with a new Delco. Who knows, it may last until I'm a senior citizen.
:cool:

Metalifann 04-04-2002 11:11 AM

Four seasons is pretty crappy. Everyone sells them but they still suck. Definately fork out some more cash for a new Delco one. I'd even go with the Delco Accumulator and orifice tube while your at it.

2vmodular 04-04-2002 11:52 AM

there's a reason they have a nickname of "four seizings"

might be better off with a used salvage yard compressor than a remmanned four seasons one. look for any oil stains on the compressor or barrier hoses before pulling, that means there was a decent leak in the system.

rocky383 04-04-2002 01:13 PM

What about the brand, Factory Air or Murray? Any good? That's what Auto Zone sells.

04-04-2002 01:37 PM

Remans are all about equal, doesnt matter who. 4 Squeezins is no worse than anybody else, sorry. I sold parts for years and reman AC compressors are just hit+miss, period. Your odds are better than 50%, probably in the 70 range. I do know A1 Cardone is someone to stay away from, they are not hit+miss, they are miss, consistently.

Just FYI, new Delco stuff is the best but I have seen those die as well. Its more like 90%, but theres still the other 10....

mystikkal_69 04-04-2002 06:26 PM

autozone sells factory air. i have one and boy does it suck. after the third one i gave up. the damn pulley bearings are noisy on those things. i haven't even charged the system because of that. please do yourself a favor and go with a new delco one. i know i will.:D

OûtlåwFørmûlå 04-04-2002 06:42 PM

Four-Seasons is now owned by Murray.
Make sure you put oil in it, cause they come dry now...

Peace

rocky383 04-04-2002 09:58 PM

I put the compressor on last night and the pulley already is making noise. I'm taking it out and am going to get a new AC Delco. 90% is better than 70% (no sh i t). If it wasn't as noisy as it is already, I'd go ahead and charge it and give it a try, but the noise is a bad omen. Not going to chance it.

Thanks for all the replies.

04-04-2002 10:02 PM

Good idea.

mystikkal_69 04-05-2002 06:13 AM

:thumbsup: