Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Theoretical and Street Racing (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/theoretical-street-racing/)
-   -   1/4 mile times 87 GTA 350 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/theoretical-street-racing/315732-1-4-mile-times.html)

F-Bobby 08-17-2005 08:15 AM

1/4 mile times 87 GTA 350

does anyone know where i can find a definitive answer to this aside from going to the track my self? Ive seen times from 15.7 to 14.3. i mean come on thats a second and a half of difference. theres gotta be a site that has a pretty correct number on what it is.

DuronClocker 08-17-2005 11:07 AM

That's because your car could be in perfect running shape like it was off the showroom floor running 14.3s or it could have bad plugs, wires, cap/rotor, O2 sensor, air filter, coolant temp sensor, etc. and be running 15s.

We always say go to the track because that's the only way you know exactly what YOUR car will run. No sense in knowing the stock time this car ran 18 years ago and trying to benchrace someone like that. 18 years and tens of thousands of miles tends to slow cars down unless they are in mint shape and/or with performance mods.

LB9GTA 08-17-2005 12:32 PM

Also, professional drivers compared to "newbie" drivers!
That also makes a huge difference!!

THEGENERAL 08-17-2005 01:12 PM

so in otherwords go to the track and find out what your particular car runs...

and if possible have yourself and a buddy both take it down the track usually will have two totally different times due to reaction times and shift points....

good luck

Flash 08-17-2005 01:21 PM

Another thing you could do and I know i'm going to, if ya don't want to take it to the track you can buy one of those g-tec things. you just put it in your car and it'll tell ya 1/4 mile time, top speed, g-forces and lots more. finding an empty street and reading the g-tec sounds alot better to me than driving up to a track.

Dano 00TA 08-17-2005 01:26 PM

Originally posted by THEGENERAL
so in otherwords go to the track and find out what your particular car runs...

and if possible have yourself and a buddy both take it down the track usually will have two totally different times due to reaction times and shift points....

good luck

You're right as far as shift points(if you manually shift) but reaction time makes no difference in et, the timer starts when your tire breaks the lights, not on the green.

ShiftyCapone 08-17-2005 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Flash
finding an empty street and reading the g-tec sounds alot better to me than driving up to a track.
Why? A track will always be more accurate, safe, straaghter, smoother, and have an ambulance nearby. Oh, and you also won't be suseptible for getting a ticket on the track.

Flash 08-17-2005 01:54 PM

that's fine if ya live close to a track, I on the other hand don't. for me to take a day and go up to the track wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world. and we got roads to race on all over up here. It's just my preference. you don't have to agree with it.

THEGENERAL 08-17-2005 02:32 PM

that's fine if ya live close to a track, I on the other hand don't. for me to take a day and go up to the track wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world. and we got roads to race on all over up here. It's just my preference. you don't have to agree with it.
you will find out quickly that alot of people on here wont agree with it if there is a track within a days drive from you then your risking others lives racing on the street ...I look at it like this if yo do it go out where there are no houses and no other pdestrians to get injured if and when something goes wrong ...:thumbsup:

What i dont agree with is the people that are racing thru town or from stoplight to stoplight when im in the car with my kids comming down the same street or on a side street..

Flash 08-17-2005 05:06 PM

we don't. we go out in the boonies. where if we go wild and runn of the road or anything the worst case scenerio is killing a cow, or running into a ditch.

THEGENERAL 08-17-2005 11:46 PM

we don't. we go out in the boonies. where if we go wild and runn of the road or anything the worst case scenerio is killing a cow, or running into a ditch.
thats how we used to be also when i was a younger lad...LOL

and the only benifit to hitting a cow is that you get to have a bbq afterwards....:thumbsup:

Flash 08-17-2005 11:52 PM

haha not only that, your meat Is already tenderized.