Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Third Gen Expo (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/third-gen-expo/)
-   -   Third Gen Expo 2018? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/third-gen-expo/749675-third-gen-expo-2018-a.html)

EricTaterbug 12-10-2017 12:22 AM

Third Gen Expo 2018?

Can anyone confirm if there will be an event held in 2018? If so, any idea when we will receive details regarding it?

chazman 12-10-2017 01:03 AM

Re: Third Gen Expo 2018?

Yes. Details early next year.

Big&BadGTA 12-10-2017 03:17 AM

City/state/location/date(s)?

chazman 12-10-2017 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6188224)
City/state/location/date(s)?

Jeremy and I haven't yet discussed any details of the 2018 event. Anything in particular you guys would like to see on the 2018 Expo? Now would be a good time to let us know.

Jacobaxeman 12-10-2017 03:39 PM

Do it In CT :p

chazman 12-10-2017 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobaxeman (Post 6188315)

Maybe someday. :)

gm muscle 12-10-2017 06:30 PM

When is this usually held? I'd like to see if it is possible for me to go.

Big&BadGTA 12-10-2017 06:32 PM

You could do this in conjunction with an existing event. An example, I see your listed as Chicago, so perhaps the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals show in November 2018 would work? Or some other event. Also depends what you would like out of it...

Other events might include Carlisle GM Nats. in PA, or others.

chazman 12-10-2017 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by gm muscle (Post 6188350)
When is this usually held? I'd like to see if it is possible for me to go.

Late May.

chazman 12-10-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6188352)
You could do this in conjunction with an existing event. An example, I see your listed as Chicago, so perhaps the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals show in November 2018 would work? Or some other event. Also depends what you would like out of it...

Other events might include Carlisle GM Nats. in PA, or others.

Two things about MACACN

1) MCACN is in November. Up here most folks have already tucked their 3rd gens away for the winter by then.

2) Ever been to MCACN? It's like the Pebble Beach of muscle cars. It's the place you take the car you bought for $200,000 and then spent another $200,000 restoring it to. Although MCACN did have Phil's last Norwood built IROC there this year, I'd doubt the organizers would want 60 or 70 3rd genners just randomly pulling into the building even if they paid the several hundred dollar entrance fee.

ThirdGen Expo is a different deal. Just a bunch of us getting together to tell our lies and check out each other's cars, :)

BTW, regarding MCACN, there are rumors afoot that they may have a 3rd gen coral next year. We'll see.....but if so, would advance our hobby greatly.

QwkTrip 12-10-2017 09:20 PM

If we had a big patch of asphalt to drive on with little supervision then I would bet it would be the best Third Gen Expo in history.

Big&BadGTA 12-10-2017 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6188392)
If we had a big patch of asphalt to drive on with little supervision then I would bet it would be the best Third Gen Expo in history.

How about at The National Corvette Museum?

Central location, track facilities, and stuff to do. Lots.

Big&BadGTA 12-10-2017 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by chazman (Post 6188381)
Two things about MACACN

I'm familiar with the show. Been going past 10 years. And before that, Chevy Vette Fest at McCormick. Just an idea, but understand your points. Thanks

chazman 12-10-2017 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6188399)
I'm familiar with the show. Been going past 10 years. And before that, Chevy Vette Fest at McCormick. Just an idea, but understand your points. Thanks

Are you from the Chicago area?

Big&BadGTA 12-10-2017 10:10 PM

No, but travel for a good show, and had cars featured in those events

QwkTrip 12-10-2017 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6188398)
How about at The National Corvette Museum?

I'm not ready to join the pewter hair crowd with their pewter color cars.

I was thinking something more reddneck -- cheap and unplanned. Give us a piece of asphalt and we'll figure out what to do with it.

Personally, I have no use for a car show ---> Destination Theme: Park your car.... boring! Gets even worse when other people start judging and ranking cars with awards.

QwkTrip 12-10-2017 11:13 PM

I think this event is tied to Heidts and they are in Chicago. I think it is really neat they open their shop and give tours & product demos. I almost went last year to drop off my car for some mods but the car ended up being held up in another shop for the roll cage. Might come in 2018 but I give it a high probably the car will be in the shop again getting tuning with the engine swap. May is usually my "project" month and the car isn't running much.

And honestly, nothing is stopping other people from having their own Third Gen Expo at other locations.

TTOP350 12-11-2017 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by chazman (Post 6188381)
BTW, regarding MCACN, there are rumors afoot that they may have a 3rd gen coral next year. We'll see.....but if so, would advance our hobby greatly.

That would be very cool, entry fee, not so cool :lmao:

PurelyPMD 12-11-2017 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jacobaxeman (Post 6188315)

I'll second this even though it's already been overruled. ;)

Big&BadGTA 12-11-2017 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6188412)

Personally, I have no use for a car show ---> Destination Theme: Park your car.... boring! Gets even worse when other people start judging and ranking cars with awards.

In past show's pics, looked like there were awards. What were the criteria? Anyways, the National Corvette Museum is far more than a static display, as they have the new NCM Motorsports park, high speed go karts, and skidpad w/ autocross duel. Having attended many events there - before and after the NCM MSP opened, I can say it's only gotten better. :burnout:

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6188418)
I think this event is tied to Heidts and they are in Chicago. I think it is really neat they open their shop and give tours & product demos.

Oh, so this is more of an advertisement/shop day than an event? I guess it should just be disclosed as such,:confused:

chazman 12-11-2017 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6188459)

Oh, so this is more of an advertisement/shop day than an event? I guess it should just be disclosed as such,:confused:

It's not.

Heidts has been nice enough to let us use their facility for this event, and we appreciate that greatly, but this is strictly mine and Jeremy's event that we put together for the third gen community.

chazman 12-11-2017 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6188418)

And honestly, nothing is stopping other people from having their own Third Gen Expo at other locations.

Nope, other than calling it ThirdGen Expo. :)

chazman 12-11-2017 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 6188438)
That would be very cool, entry fee, not so cool :lmao:

It would be cool. As far as entry fees, yeah, we'd be playing with the big boys. Some of these guys spend $10K for the long weekend in order to be there with their cars.

TTOP350 12-11-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by chazman (Post 6188487)
It would be cool. As far as entry fees, yeah, we'd be playing with the big boys. Some of these guys spend $10K for the long weekend in order to be there with their cars.

Oh I know! Have a good friend I went to HS with that restores mopars and he has been there the last 2-3 yrs. He told me what it costs him to "sponsor" the show with his booth:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

It's for sure a great show though.

Jbuchanan 12-11-2017 10:47 PM

I guess Talladega is too far out of the way? I got a connection there through Raceway Ministries. I know it's not very central.

Thirdgen89GTA 12-12-2017 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6188459)
In past show's pics, looked like there were awards. What were the criteria? Anyways, the National Corvette Museum is far more than a static display, as they have the new NCM Motorsports park, high speed go karts, and skidpad w/ autocross duel. Having attended many events there - before and after the NCM MSP opened, I can say it's only gotten better. :burnout:

Any event held on NCM or Corvette Museum grounds is going to be exceedingly expensive. Especially if you start talking any use of the facilities. I don't think many people are going to be willing to plop down between $300-$500 for a single track day at NCM. Especially when you count the money it would take to prepare a street car thats never seen a track for an event. The gas required to get there. The Hotel's and Food....

That said, Yes, I do want to drive NCM, and I'm sad I couldn't arrange it the last time I was there.

A weekend track event might only cost $400-$500 for Road America, but by the time and money I would spend on gas, hotel, food...etc.. You are looking at thousand dollar trip.

Thirdgen Expo is not a shop day for Heidts. Heidts does get benefits out of it, because they get to show you the good work they do. And that does help sell some products for them.

However, you are not obligated to walk through the shop, you can spend your entire day in the parking lot looking at Thirdgens, and BS'ing with other owners.

Heidts is essentially granted us use of their parking lot to hold a show. Which is not a bad thing when you think about what it normally takes to get a permit in a city to use a public space.

chazman 12-12-2017 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA (Post 6188658)
Any event held on NCM or Corvette Museum grounds is going to be exceedingly expensive. Especially if you start talking any use of the facilities. I don't think many people are going to be willing to plop down between $300-$500 for a single track day at NCM. Especially when you count the money it would take to prepare a street car thats never seen a track for an event. The gas required to get there. The Hotel's and Food....

That said, Yes, I do want to drive NCM, and I'm sad I couldn't arrange it the last time I was there.

A weekend track event might only cost $400-$500 for Road America, but by the time and money I would spend on gas, hotel, food...etc.. You are looking at thousand dollar trip.

Thirdgen Expo is not a shop day for Heidts. Heidts does get benefits out of it, because they get to show you the good work they do. And that does help sell some products for them.

However, you are not obligated to walk through the shop, you can spend your entire day in the parking lot looking at Thirdgens, and BS'ing with other owners.

Heidts is essentially granted us use of their parking lot to hold a show. Which is not a bad thing when you think about what it normally takes to get a permit in a city to use a public space.

Thanks Bill. Exactly!

LS2Swapped92 12-18-2017 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA (Post 6188658)

Exactly my thoughts. From an outside perspective I can see how he would assume it's just an advertising scheme. However being there.....it's just a regular ole car meet with some of the nicest thirdgens in the area attending with an optional shop tour to add more parts to your Christmas Wish List

EricTaterbug 12-23-2017 04:16 AM

Just gonna throw this out there...
Charlotte Motor Speedway often has autocross events in the massive parking lot next to the Drag Strip. I'd be willing to bet we could snake our way in with those guys. It's an SCCA sanctioned racing event. I think it's like $50 to run the cars.

Alternatively, there's the Tail of the Dragon. Anyone heard of it before?

I'm trying to plan ahead for some events to attend, hence why I started this thread with the question. I've always heard of Third Gen Fest, but never been able to go. I work at a hotel and I'm using my discounts to finally go to some stuff. Even if my car isn't ready yet.

chazman 12-23-2017 08:57 AM

Expo will stay in the Chicago area, guys. It's hard enough to pull an event like this together locally, let alone far away somewhere. On the FB page, folks are constantly asking me to have it at various locations across the country. Well, maybe someday...

With that said, it's not out of the question to locate it in a more centrally located spot in the Chicago area with more hotels, restaurants, etc.

EricTaterbug 12-23-2017 11:41 PM

I can appreciate that. I'm just glad I finally am going to be able to go to these things! I'm hoping to have my car running before the shows begin next year.

1qk4mula 12-24-2017 08:53 PM

Any good quarter mile tracks in the Chicago area to hold the expo?? It's the best place to do a burnout..

Big&BadGTA 12-24-2017 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1qk4mula (Post 6191142)
Any good quarter mile tracks in the Chicago area to hold the expo?? It's the best place to do a burnout..

http://www.route66raceway.com

1qk4mula 12-24-2017 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6191147)

That looks like a great place for it.

Thirdgen89GTA 12-24-2017 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1qk4mula (Post 6191148)
That looks like a great place for it.

Route 66 will cost you$10,000+ to rent. Cordova dragway is about $2000-$2500 to rent.

1qk4mula 12-24-2017 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA (Post 6191152)
Route 66 will cost you$10,000+ to rent. Cordova dragway is about $2000-$2500 to rent.

Or we just pay the $15 entrance fee ($25 if you wanna race) and all park beside each other :)

Thirdgen89GTA 12-25-2017 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1qk4mula (Post 6191154)
Or we just pay the $15 entrance fee ($25 if you wanna race) and all park beside each other :)

Gathering at a drag strip test n tune is something I can do at anytime.I don’t see the need the try and convince Charlie or Jeremy to search for another venue unless Heidts is disinterested in hosting 2018. It’s been held at Heidts twice and been successful and brought in enough thirdgens to fill the lot. It’s a nice relaxed atmosphere and a good venue for the show.

QwkTrip 12-31-2017 12:01 AM

It would be fun to just have any reason to run the cars and make some noise. A portable dyno will come to where you are and I'll bet people would enjoy running on it and watching.

Cars do break on the dyno though, so you better have things in great working order before strapping to it. You're basically running the car to top of 3rd or 4th gear (whichever is 1:1) so expect speedometer to hit a number you may have never done on the road.