Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   Edelbrocks Vortec TPI base.. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/266478-edelbrocks-vortec-tpi-base.html)

SweetS10v8 11-06-2004 03:22 PM

Edelbrocks Vortec TPI base..

1 Attachment(s)
Doesnt Edelbrock cast teh Scoggins Vortec TPI base? Looks like they are releasing it under the Edelbrock name now, I dont know if there are any changes

Kwik89GTA 11-06-2004 04:26 PM

That intake still has the SDPC part number on it......

red87iroc 11-06-2004 07:03 PM

Is that a provision for an EGR valve in the center?

Kwik89GTA 11-06-2004 08:54 PM

Yeah thats EGR, but you still have to use the external EGR feed tube ( a la corvette) beside the distributor hole, as Vortec heads do not have the exhaust crossover in them. That is the exact intake that I have except for the Edelbrock name and part number. The SDPC part number and the firing order are the same.

vortec77 11-07-2004 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Kwik89GTA
Yeah thats EGR, but you still have to use the external EGR feed tube ( a la corvette) beside the distributor hole, as Vortec heads do not have the exhaust crossover in them. That is the exact intake that I have except for the Edelbrock name and part number. The SDPC part number and the firing order are the same.
Hey Kwik, did u have to mount your Seperate primary coil to the firewall because the egr crossover tube was in the way? Thanks,

Kwik89GTA 11-07-2004 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I dont have any pics of mine, due to the motor being on a stand, but I have a pic of Chris's Formula with the same setup. The EGR feed tube wasnt the reason to move the coil... The bolts that you use for the coil bracket go away with the installation of the vortec baseplate. Look at the pic, we just turned the coil upside down, drilled 2 holes and mounted it to the lip on the cowl.

IROC315 11-07-2004 09:18 AM

kwik, Thanks for the idea on the coil mount. I was going to install a double ended stud in the intake but I haven't been able to find one to fit. I am going to just do what your pic there shows.

I don't have a vortec base but have the eldelbrock tpi base. I am having a problem finding a gasket for the EGR tube. I need one to use as a template to make a block off plate. Does anyone know where I can order this gasket?

I would trace it out and do it on the spot but the car is 300 miles away right now. I work on it every 2 weeks when I can get up there.

vortec77 11-07-2004 09:33 AM

Originally posted by IROC315
kwik, Thanks for the idea on the coil mount. I was going to install a double ended stud in the intake but I haven't been able to find one to fit. I am going to just do what your pic there shows.

I don't have a vortec base but have the eldelbrock tpi base. I am having a problem finding a gasket for the EGR tube. I need one to use as a template to make a block off plate. Does anyone know where I can order this gasket?

I would trace it out and do it on the spot but the car is 300 miles away right now. I work on it every 2 weeks when I can get up there.

Hey quik thanks, for the Pic thats a GREAT idea!! IROC315 try sdpc, i beleive they sell the gaskets seperately.

IROC315 11-07-2004 09:37 AM

I tried their web page and couldn't find it. I am going to give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully they'll take the time to help me for such a small item.

Thanks. :)

vortec77 11-07-2004 10:14 AM

Originally posted by IROC315
I tried their web page and couldn't find it. I am going to give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully they'll take the time to help me for such a small item.

Thanks. :)

They should, they have a seperate parts dept.

Kwik89GTA 11-07-2004 01:20 PM

Ask SDPC for the gasket part numers in the EGR kit SD Part SD3816. The kit comes with 2 of the same egr gaskets. I threw the bags away so I dont have the part #s.

The coil bracket is the factory one, just turned upside down. No mods or anything. We have been running our coils this way for about 25K miles with no probs. Just be sure to use some flat head bolts so that the heads dont stick up too far.
Later,
Kev

vortec77 11-07-2004 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Kwik89GTA
Ask SDPC for the gasket part numers in the EGR kit SD Part SD3816. The kit comes with 2 of the same egr gaskets. I threw the bags away so I dont have the part #s.

The coil bracket is the factory one, just turned upside down. No mods or anything. We have been running our coils this way for about 25K miles with no probs. Just be sure to use some flat head bolts so that the heads dont stick up too far.
Later,
Kev

Plus thats where my old map sensor is mounted right now so i can take that out and start setting up the coil bracket. Do u have the EGR solenoid mounted there to?

Orr89RocZ 11-07-2004 03:35 PM

nice to see edelbrock jump in and help out the TPI guys. Their base is great and with all there Vortec heads and other carb intakes, it is a no brainer to offer a vortec TPI intake.

vortec77 11-07-2004 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Orr89RocZ
nice to see edelbrock jump in and help out the TPI guys. Their base is great and with all there Vortec heads and other carb intakes, it is a no brainer to offer a vortec TPI intake.
Yeah its about time!!, After i get my tpi going and running and tuned properly im gonna start setting money aside for that stealth. Maybe ill have one by the summer!!:D

1bad91Z 11-08-2004 04:16 PM

I modified the factory coil bracket to fit in the factory location on my SDPC base.

I have a pic somewhere of it.

The mod requires a little welding and grinding, but it looks factory.

poncho@home 11-26-2004 02:05 PM

Hey Mike (1bad) have u ever run your car at the track? It's been a long time since I've asked.

evelkneivel001 11-26-2004 07:43 PM

This is the riser from my latest build

1 Attachment(s)
Vortec Heads and intake. That riser tube can be a pain in the *** when putting the motor in. Because of the taller valve covers, I had to add on to the tube.

evelkneivel001 11-26-2004 07:51 PM

And another

1 Attachment(s)
Overall view.

vortec77 11-27-2004 09:18 PM

Re: And another

Originally posted by evelkneivel001
Overall view.
Hey, where did u get the wire looms for center bolt valve covers? Im looking for a set but for high rise center bolt valve covers.

vejatabul 11-27-2004 09:59 PM

edelbrock makes the vortec tpi intake for sdpc.

evelkneivel001 11-27-2004 10:27 PM

These are the tall center bolt valve covers.

The wire looms are Moroso. I believe I got them from Jegs. They work pretty good.

vortec77 11-27-2004 10:43 PM

Re: These are the tall center bolt valve covers.

Originally posted by evelkneivel001
The wire looms are Moroso. I believe I got them from Jegs. They work pretty good.
Ok thanks, ;)

abcx09t 11-28-2004 08:35 AM

Vortec Manifold

I have one of these too from SDPC with the separate coil. My input for you is to check clearance between the bottom of the distributor and the top of the manifold. I had to remove material from the manifold to clear the distributor cover screw or else I could not rotate the distributor to set timing.
Scott

Rick Sanchez 11-28-2004 12:41 PM

Vortec heads with TPI

Hi Guys ...I just came across your MB looking for this info....Is this manifold designed to let you use vortec heads with a Tuned Port setup?

SweetS10v8 11-29-2004 05:42 AM

yup :D

evelkneivel001 11-29-2004 07:12 PM

yep!

That's exactly what they're for.