Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   '85 MAF burn off control module????? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/308581-85-maf-burn-off.html)

FLATLINE 07-09-2005 02:14 PM

'85 MAF burn off control module?????

I have tried several NEW MAF sensors, nothing seems to help the car. It will crank for a second and die...... The scan tool says there is 13g/sec coming across the MAF with the engine off... HOws that??? This is the last thing I have not changed. I have bought the nessesary software and hard ware to tune the computer on the dyno. DO you think the software will help my situation or is it electrical??? I have found out that '85 tpi cars are the odd man out as far as replacement parts.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vader 07-10-2005 01:40 PM

Yes, the '85 TPIs have the one-off control system. The MAF sensor is a Delco designed (but possibly Bosch supplied) MAF that has a digital output signal. All other year TPIs with MAF used the Bosch analog output MAF sensor.

If you have a basic understanding of how the MAF sensor operates, you will realize that there is some level of heater current required to maintain the temperature differential between the hot wire and ambient sensor. This will translate to some level of air flow detected by the ECM, even though there is no air flowing. Some of the sensor wire heat is simply lost to the static air in the sensor.

That 13g/S is probably just that. You may have several good MAF sensors as a result.

FLATLINE 07-10-2005 06:29 PM

What is the possiblty of the control module being bad? Is there anyone that I can get in contact with that can help me??? please.......

mp

FLATLINE 07-10-2005 08:24 PM

Well I just removed the module....... It has a burnt circut board (red wire) and the red wire has melted the other wires to it....

I think I found the problem, or the one of the sources. Now to check the rest of the circut for damage.

Bluevette85 07-13-2005 08:30 PM

Re: '85 MAF burn off control module?????

Originally posted by FLATLINE
IThe scan tool says there is 13g/sec coming across the MAF with the engine off... HOws that???
The scan tool shows 13g/sec because the ecm is programmed to display this with a 0 maf voltage reading. That way if the MAF fails or is unplugged, the engine will get fuel and start.

FLATLINE 07-13-2005 09:46 PM

Cool thanks for the info. I found the module in a local parts yard. I pluged it in, and it fired right off. Now to the dyno. I've got the pocket romulator and proggramer with tuner cat R/T. I hope to see some good #'s @ the track and dyno.

New 350, TRW forged pistons, TF twisted wedge heads, flowed 254@600 and 200 exhaust. Crane Gold Roller rockers, Lunati cam 454 lift 218 duration, hardened push rods, Superram Intake , 1 3/4 long tube headers, 2 /1/2 exhaust thru the Mac mufflers.

Zesty Zesati 09-04-2017 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by FLATLINE (Post 2426083)
I have tried several NEW MAF sensors, nothing seems to help the car. It will crank for a second and die...... The scan tool says there is 13g/sec coming across the MAF with the engine off... HOws that??? This is the last thing I have not changed. I have bought the nessesary software and hard ware to tune the computer on the dyno. DO you think the software will help my situation or is it electrical??? I have found out that '85 tpi cars are the odd man out as far as replacement parts.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so what did you end up doing? did you replace the burn off module?

M G Brewer 09-04-2017 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zesty Zesati (Post 6166743)
so what did you end up doing? did you replace the burn off module?

I had a similar issue and I had to replace my computer. I put every new sensor on my vehicle to no avail, but after the ecm replacement, it runs like a dream!